This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

Are you looking for a new and exciting way to get involved on campus? Do you want to hang out with a fun group of girls every week? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then you need to check out a new club on campus – I Am That Girl!

I Am That Girl HPU Chapter was started by Mina Sohrabi, a biology and human health and sciences major graduating in December. Sohrabi started the club during her last semester of college, with the hopes that HPU girls in semesters to come will carry on the tradition.

I Am That Girl, originally founded by a USC student in 2002, has a fairly straightforward mission statement. According to the IATG website “That Girl is the best version of each of us. That Girl loves. That Girl supports. That Girl gives back. That Girl speaks her truth.”

The last thing That Girl does is Sohrabi’s favorite – That Girl speaks her truth. Sohrabi said she appreciates HPU’s diversity, but that she understands how it can often leave girls feeling pressured or wondering how to fit in.

“We all carry this special baggage with us – with our past, with our family and everything. So we’re coming in, not knowing what to expect, so we find this need to try to fit in and to make friends.” Sohrabi said.

IATG, she said, is the perfect opportunity for students, especially first-years, to find new friends without sacrificing who they really are. They are all That Girl, and they now have a safe environment in which to express themselves.

IATG meetings take place on Thursday nights at 7 p.m. in MP 246, and anyone is more than welcome to join. Meetings consist of honest, unfiltered discussions about whatever the attendees want to talk about, as well as a weekly tradition of going around the room and sharing “Why I am a badass.” What could be more fun than that?! The club also hosts occasional events, like watching throwback movies at Ward or attending various Ladies’ Night themed events around the island.

Anyone interested in joining IATG can contact Mina at iamthatgirlhpu@gmail.com or follow them on Instagram @iamthatgirlhpu. To learn more about their mission, check out www.iamthatgirl.com.

Katrina Hicks

Northwestern '19

.
Amanda is a senior at HPU working towards her degrees in mass communication and integrated multimedia. She loves all things related to design, photography, and journalism. Her dream is to move back to the big apple and work for Cosmopolitan magazine. When not sipping on Starbucks while studying, you can find her doing crossfit or diving.