5 Tips to Make Your Concealer Perform its Best!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

Getting under-eye concealer right can be a tricky part of your makeup routine, but often is a staple. Here are 5 quick tips to keep in mind when searching for the right product or wanting to have your concealer looking its best!

1. Under-eye concealer always creasing? Look for a more moisturizing and perhaps thinner formula. Thicker and dryer concealers are much more prone to caking up and creasing, meaning be conscious with pot concealers or thicker formulas. Be sure to apply sparingly if you do use such formulas and stay away if you have naturally dry under-eyes!

2. Look for the right undertone. If you have blue-purple coloring under your eyes that you are trying to conceal, look for a concealer with peach, salmon, pink or orange undertone in it. These colors counter the blue-purple and have a greater concealing effect. On the other hand, if you are looking mainly to brighten, a more yellow-toned concealer would be ideal.

3. Make sure to set your concealer, this also helps with lessening creasing throughout the day and assists longevity, but again the key is to use very little. If you powder too heavily or have dryer under-eyes, it will work in the opposite effect creating a dry/cakey look. A light dusting with a good translucent powder will do the trick.

4. Make sure to apply your concealer in a triangle shape under your eyes rather than a semi-circle swipe right underneath. By blending your concealer in a triangle shape toward a point at the apple of your cheeks, you blend a more seamless looking coverage and draw brightness to more of your face where the light would naturally hit, instantly lifting your cheekbones.

5. Choose the right color. Now that you know what undertone you’re looking for, be sure not to go too light or too dark. It’s usually suggested to go no more than 1-2 shades lighter than your skin tone. Any more than that will be too unnatural and will be difficult to blend. On the other hand, having a concealer darker than your natural skin tone will bring shade to your face, which is the exact opposite of what you want to draw attention to beneath your eyes.

Amanda is a senior at HPU working towards her degrees in mass communication and integrated multimedia. She loves all things related to design, photography, and journalism. Her dream is to move back to the big apple and work for Cosmopolitan magazine. When not sipping on Starbucks while studying, you can find her doing crossfit or diving.