This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

Yes, anxiety. The monster that evokes voices that torment us at our most vulnerable moments. Your chest tightens, your heart races, your palms sweat, your fists clench, your mind stops; everything stops. Ever since I was a little kid, anxiety has grown with me, molded me, and ultimately lives with me. It’s insane to think that there are so many stressors in the world. Stress about school, stress about life – the very thought of you trying to get somewhere, with the expectations that follow along with you. Stress about what to eat, what pants fit my waist line the absolute best. Stress about the way you speak, the way you walk, the way you chew. STRESS ABOUT EVERYTHING!! But fret not, my dear stressed, overwhelmed, anxiety-prone readers. Here are 5 ways to show anxiety who’s in control.

1. Surround yourself with people you enjoy the most

We all know that time alone is vital to our own individual growth. However, being surrounded by best friends, family and loved ones gives everyone a sense of belonging. Make it a point to enjoy time with those who you know care. Trying to battle things on your own is brave, commendable even. There are times though, that having encouragement from the ones who mean the most to you, will uplift you more than you could ever do on your own.

2. Get some fresh air

As simple as it may be, surrounding yourself with the beauty nature has to offer triggers your mind to gradually relax. For me, my favorite bench on my front porch is the place I find comfort. The way I can just watch the world bloom before my eyes reminds me that there’s so much out there worth being patient for. Whether it’s taking a walk around a nearby park or just sitting out on your balcony, being out in nature heals. Take advantage of the natural things around you, and you won’t be disappointed.

3. Write, indefinitely

Whether you are a prodigy with a pen and paper or a deep hater of the written word, don’t be afraid to write your thoughts. Your thoughts matter. Don’t let them bottle up within you. Simply writing them down allows you to express your innermost feelings in a way that you, and only you, can describe and understand. Write down your thoughts every night and keep a journal for them. Sometimes, it’s good to read them over and listen to the one person who truly gets the way you’re feeling…you.

Anxiety. The monster that has the ability to take control of you. Although these tips and tricks are handy, the ultimate way to rid yourself of the stress is through the confidence and determination you have for yourself. Take control, and don’t let anxiety win. Have the strength to carry on and you’ll truly be on your way. Good luck!

Amanda is a senior at HPU working towards her degrees in mass communication and integrated multimedia. She loves all things related to design, photography, and journalism. Her dream is to move back to the big apple and work for Cosmopolitan magazine. When not sipping on Starbucks while studying, you can find her doing crossfit or diving.