Your Guide to Getting the Elusive 4.0

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Dear My Overachieving Soul Sister,

Since we are so inexplicably connected, I know the thought of graduating with a 4.0 has crossed your mind more than once. Quite frankly, you’ve probably made graduating Summa Cum Laude an ultimate goal of yours. But let’s be real, actually achieving this goal is no easy task. So without further ado, here is your guide to getting that elusive 4.0:

1) Engage with your professors

Yes, your professors are human beings and would prefer to be treated as such. Active interactions with your professors such as speaking to them when you walk in, participating in discussions, or even asking relevant questions will help them remember you more when they are grading assignments.

2) Do your homework assignments

Although mind-numbing and tedious at times, homework assignments will help your grades. Even if you turn in an assignment late, it’s better to receive some credit rather than a 0.

3) Go to class

The frequent skipping of a class is a non-factor if you want a 4.0. However, since we don’t live in a perfect world and skipping class is inevitable, make sure you recognize the risks and take a look at the syllabus for important days in class.

4) Make friends in each class

Find a study buddy. Having a study buddy is like having a safety net, especially if you do decide to skip class one day.

5) Don’t be afraid to ask questions

As we roll our eyes at the girl in the front of the class who always asks questions, little do we know that (1) she doesn’t care and (2) she’s probably a 4.0 student. When she doesn’t understand a concept, she asks about it, takes notes and feels confident about acing the next exam.

6) Use Ratemyprofessors.com

Get to know your professor’s teaching style before you even step in the classroom by using ratemyprofessors.com. The website helps separate the good from the bad when registering for classes.

7) Rest

Rest. Relax. Refresh. Sounds nice, right? Breaking up your study sessions by taking a nap or going for a quick jog will help with information recall which will get you one step closer to getting that 4.0.

Trying to get a 4.0 while keeping up with friends, maintaining a relationship, eating right, participating in organizations and being a conscious member of society is a lot to keep up with, but it is more than possible. Just imagine how rewarding of an experience it would be to see Summa Cum Laude at the end of your diploma, knowing that you’ve completed your goal.

Majoring in Afro-American Studies and minoring in Philosophy at Howard University, Kaylyn Dotson has two passions: writing and travelling. After leaving the country for the first time when she was sixteen, she developed a deep love for travel and a newfound interest in learning about different cultures. In the future, Kaylyn wants to pursue a career in law while simultaneously volunteering her legal knowledge to those less fortunate. But at this moment, Kaylyn hopes to live her life to the fullest by travelling, spending time with friends and family, and volunteering her time to make the Black community a stronger community.