What I’m Happy About Today: Mykelle Richburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Having a bad day? College getting you down? Do you go to Howard University? Then we get it. College can have some of the best and worst of times. This column is a gateway for students to know that they aren’t alone in our large Bison family. I hope that hearing from your peers will continue to give you hope to keep going on another day.

Meet Mykelle Richburg, a Graduating Senior Psychology/ Criminology (Double Major) from Long Island, New York!  

Avery: What are you currently happy about today or just in life in general? 

Mykelle: I am happy to be alive. I feel like in college we lose sight on how important the little things in life are. And I’m especially glad that I was able to walk away from this accident this morning.

Avery: How do you keep yourself motivated during the darkest of times?

Mykelle: I always Cherish yesterday. I write in my journal all the time. I really love to have positive affirmations so I have apps on my phone so that I can have them sent to me everyday. I love reading devotionals too. I follow motivational pages on social media. I listen to positive and motivating music, like the Whitney Houston version of I’m Every Woman but the Chaka Khan version is my favorite. I also loved Tyler, the Creator’s last album, it represented my life this semester and has gotten me through everything so I would say music is a big motivator. I continue to tell myself that everything is going to be okay and I continue to pray.

Avery: What advice would you give to someone who is really down in the dumps? 

Mykelle: I would tell them that is apart of your process. If that doesn’t work, I would tell them about a time that I went through something and made it through. I would tell them that everything is contributing to your testimony and it’s all about how you overcome your obstacles. They should aspire to be a boss and work through their obstacles with elegance and grace. And in the future, they can use their story as a testimony and it could help someone else in the future.  

Avery: Do you have any rituals you do to keep a good mojo going throughout your day?

Mykelle: I pray in the morning. I read three different devotionals every day; one from church, my prayer book from CVS and my African Spiritual Book. My devotionals come from Lloyd Barker and from Instagod Ministries.

Avery: What is one of your favorite memories so far at Howard University? If any.

Mykelle: My favorite memory would have to be during my sophomore year at The Million Man March and the townhalls prior to the march. We marched with the Black Panthers and I loved how everyone united for one cause. Especially with what is going on today, it was great that we were bringing awareness to some very current and relevant issues. It was a beautiful, and a great time to be at Howard. I wished it happened every year because I think that black men should be treated like kings and shouldn’t always be seen in a negative narrative. I loved seeing them in their suits! Most importantly, black women were there while bringing up black men in their conversations.

Avery: What is one thing you wish someone told you before attending Howard?

Mykelle: I don’t really wish that anyone told me anything. I am overall blessed with how things have gone for me at Howard.

Avery: What is one motivational quote/piece of writing that keeps you going on a day to day basis?

Mykelle: A mantra that I live by is that hard work pays off and to keep your eyes on the prize!

Keep up with Mykelle! Instagram

Avery Taylor is a sophomore Elementary Education major and Afro American Studies minor from Long Island, NY. She has always had a strong passion for helping children and giving back to her community. Avery has been dancing and writing poetry all her life and feels like working with Her Campus is the next way for her to use her creativity to give back! Avery been published in 4 literary magazines in her hometown but continues to write on her own free time as she continues her education at Howard University. She plans on going to South Africa in the winter of 2017 with YAALI to do research their in education systems in comparison to what we have in the states. Avery just wants to continue to be the best example for all young woman around her but especially African American women! Her daily mantra is "strive to inspire before you expire" just to remind her of her purpose in society.