Theara Coleman ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Name: Theara Imani Coleman 

Classification: Junior

Major/Minor: English/ Afro American Studies

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY, Bed Stuy to be exact!

What’s your relationship status?
I’ve been in a relationship w/ my girlfriend since freshman year!

What are your goals for the future?
Once I graduate I want to take a few years off to teach and work on my creative writing skills, and to possibly get married and start my family. Once I have some more life experience under my belt I want to go to law school and become a Civil Rights attorney. My greatest dream is to be able to work as an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union.

What are your hobbies/passions?Any special talents?
I’m a pretty typical english major, so my hobbies are reading, and writing both poetry and creative non fiction. My passions are service, especially to children in under served communities, advocating for LGBT rights, children’s rights, education reform, women’s reproductive rights, and any kind of social injustice that sways me. I believe I’m a talented public speaker, once I get over my shyness, as well as a talented writer. I’m also a great cook!

Describe yourself in 5 words.
Ambitious, loving, eccentric, damaged, growing.

What do you love most about Howard University?
I would have to say the wealth of talent in the student body. The spirit of service and ambition is constantly flowing around this campus and it is inspiring. The legacy of Howard is what drew me to this school and the desire to maintain the integrity of that legacy is what has made me stay.

What do you think makes you cute? Why do you think that you were chosen to be a campus Cutie?
I honestly have no idea! I think it has a lot to do with my afro though! I had been natural until I was 16 and then I got a perm. After my freshman year at Howard I wanted to go back to the versatility of natural hair. This time around my afro has become more than just hair. It is a fashion statement, a social statement, and it has anchored me in my community. I rock my afro with the understanding of everything it has stood for before me and everything I want it to stand for after me. As far as style I think I have a typical queer girl swag. All my clothes are either thrift store stuff, my mom’s old clothes, or clothes from my girlfriends job. I think I was chosen to be a campus cutie because I’ve mastered the art of combining college girl comfort with Howard-girl fashion sense.

Fun fact/ Any last words: Fun fact! I’m Dominican/Puerto Rican/ African American, and since I’ve been at HU I’ve lost my grasp of the spanish language, so I want my last words to be in spanish! :A donde el corazon se inclina, el pie camina. Basically, that means home is where the heart is, and for now miy heart is here at Howard!

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!