photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Thanksgiving in the Nation’s Capital

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Unfortunately, not all of us can return to the place we call home for the Thanksgiving holiday, but do no fret DC has a slew of fabulous events to attend.

Destination: U.S. Botanical Garden

Cost: Free

Rather than hitting the shops on ‘Black Thursday’ you can always escape to the US Botanical Garden where the seasonal display, Season’s Greetings, debuts for the first time.

Destination: National Museum of the American Indian

Cost:Free

Numunu Voices in the Wind is a festival commemorating the culture and heritage of the Comanche Nation. This festival showcases dances, singing, food, film, and demonstrations. This extravaganza begins on Thursday and culminates on Sunday. And on Friday in honor of Native American Heritage Day you can join in a Round Dance complete with Comanche Nation drums.

Destination: Downtown Holiday Market (8th & F St. NW – In front of the National Portrait Gallery)

Hundreds of different artists and vendors come together at the Annual Downtown Holiday Market. Complete with not only a place to stock up on clothes, pottery, and jewelry there will also musical performances and hot food through, noon to 8 p.m., the market’s operating hours.

Destination: Renwick Gallery

Cost: Free

The museum was originally constructed to be the first American Art Museum. But now, after nearly two years of renovation, the Renwick Gallery is re-opening its doors to the public. The Thanksgiving holiday is the perfect time to showcase the phenomenal artwork of nine artists, including Leo Villareal.