Symposium on Undergraduate Research

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Annually, Howard University allows undergraduate students in every discipline to perform their own research and present their findings for a chance to win up to $1000. The Symposium on Undergraduate Research provides students like Kelsey Perdue an opportunity to really examine subjects of interest that may not be part of their regular course of study.

Perdue, a graduating senior Human Development major won first place with her research entitled Volunteer Satisfaction at a Washington, DC Non Profit in the category of social sciences. As Perdue described her methods and findings, she expressed her appreciation for the project, as it not only allowed her to study something she enjoyed, she also felt like the symposium gave her experience that will be useful in her graduate studies. She may have an edge against the competition when applying to masters and doctoral programs because she has proven that she can aptly and successfully perform the required work.

The symposium also sparks the interest of professors throughout Howard, who contemplate the necessity of this sort of practice in individual research and consider implementing similar programs as requirements for graduation. As one School of Education professor notes, “We want to step away from so much practical experience and perhaps develop ways to gain familiarity and understanding with research and publication, which is the next step after undergraduate studies.”

Even though this is a COAS event, all are invited to participate. Will you present your research findings next year? Good luck!

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!