Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Howard Features

Celebrating After Finals

By Marquita Gaines
April 30, 2012 - 10:48am

It's the end of the semester, finals are almost over and  it's time to celebrate. Everyone knows of the highly publicized and retweeted club parties, but if you're a part of the struggling college students who can barely afford groceries. Also, despite what the club promoters want you to believe, the expensive club prices aren't in your budget. So here are some alternatives that will allow you to celebrate and rid yourself of the end of the semester stress while still on a budget. Here are five FREE events that will get you started. READ MORE

Preparing for Bison Ball

By Jordan Jackson
April 24, 2012 - 4:01pm

Every spring students come together for Howard University’s Student Association’s (HUSA) Bison Ball. At this event, the efforts of students and staff throughout the school year are commemorated and recognized. Obtaining shoes, hair, make up, and formal attire are all amongst the list of to-dos as students hastily prepare for this formal occasion.  Many students spend months in advance shopping and preparing for their attire, down to the color lipstick they plan to wear.   READ MORE

Get Your Search on, Bison

By Jonielle Lowman
April 21, 2012 - 7:01pm

As if the tuition increase that took effect just last semester wasn’t enough, the financial struggle for Howard University students continue to heighten even more. Many continuing students face the possibility of not being able to return to Howard University due to financial reasons.   READ MORE

Symposium on Undergraduate Research

By Anika Rich
April 14, 2012 - 10:05pm

Annually, Howard University allows undergraduate students in every discipline to perform their own research and present their findings for a chance to win up to $1000. The Symposium on Undergraduate Research provides students like Kelsey Perdue an opportunity to really examine subjects of interest that may not be part of their regular course of study. READ MORE

Freshmen Worries

By Dooshima Mngerem
April 7, 2012 - 10:21pm

Coming to Howard University is like going to nowhere else in the world.  Howard is honestly one of a kind, an experience that cannot be replicated.  Part of the reason for this uniqueness is that Howard IS a HBCU (historically black college or university); however, this distinction is not all that makes Howard unique.  Howard distinguishes itself from other HBCUs in many different ways. First of all, Howard considers itself the Mecca of all HBCUs as seen by the dominating presence of one of Howard’s mottos “It’s Lonely At the Top” scrawled all over Howard paraphernalia. Howard also earns much of its distinction because of its status as the ONLY HBCU in the nation’s capitol. READ MORE

5 Common Sense Behaviors for Going to a House Party

By Talisha Sevilla
March 29, 2012 - 3:04pm

Every college girl needs a break from the deadlines, responsibilities, and other hectic activities involved with her academic career. Usually that break comes from the promises of abundant social interaction in the form of parties and events at clubs. The only responsibility at these places is to have fun. Although partying is a care-free activity, there are some things a college girl should be privy to when it comes to going out in situations where she can become extremely vulnerable.  There are 5 things a college girl should keep in mind before going out so that the night of fun doesn’t become an evening of disaster and possible embarrassment. READ MORE

Possible Dorm Closures for Spring Break?

By Taryn Finley
March 3, 2012 - 5:39pm

Spring break is a little over a week away from now, and just about everybody knows what they’ll be doing. Some students will be living the life on a beach in Panama City, while others will be relaxing at home eating some good home-cooked meals from their moms. Well, what about the rest of the students? There are students that have jobs in the District of Columbia that they need to work for spring break, students that can’t afford to travel home for a week, and even students who would like to stay and get some work done that they can’t get done at home. Many students have heard of the rumor that the dorms will be closing for spring break in order to “save Howard some money.” Students have discussed this topic on the yard, in classes, and even to their...

What to Wear: Howard University Career Fair

By Anika Rich
February 12, 2012 - 10:05pm

At the Howard University career fairs, companies such as: Abercrombie & Fitch, AOL, Capital One, Gap, Inc., Geico,Goldman Sachs, Johnson&Johnson, Microsoft Corporation, Teach For America and more are available to speak with students about internships and post-graduate job opportunities. So how do you prepare for such an important event? Well first, you have to look the part!

Conservative dress is usually the norm for these events, but don’t be afraid to show your personality as well. A dark colored skirt or pants suit, or a neutral shift dress paired with a dark blazer is perfect for the feminine professional. Keep ruffles and embellishments to a minimum. Stockings are a must!

...

Dreamteam’s First Nightmare

By Kayla Vales
February 4, 2012 - 6:07pm

Howard University's Dreamteam is one of the biggest party promotion and hosting groups on campus. They are known for their sold out venues and incredible DJ. Dreamteam, whose founding members are of the graduating class of 2012, just recently added a selected few of freshmen class of 2015 to their crew. The group had never dealt with any issues in terms of pleasing fans and customers until their first party of the Spring 2012 semester entitled “#3peat.” READ MORE

Alternatives to iPads

By Radiah Shabazz
January 28, 2012 - 12:28pm

Apple products reign supreme in this day and age. Critics go crazy, often heralding these products as “the best on the market.” While in some respects this may be true, unfortunately the best is not for everyone. READ MORE