Kiki Ayers On Becoming A Mogul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Kiki Ayers is a C.E.O, model, entertainment reporter,  and a proud member of the Noble Black Society. Ayers first got her start in the entertainment industry by interning in the promotions department with DC’s #1 radio station WPGC 95.5 FM.  Before long, she made her mark within the company and earned the nickname “super intern.” She continued to land internships with notable companies such as MTV Networks, Atlantic Records and VH1. Her production credits  include but are not limited to the 2009 MTVU Sun Music Festival, WPGC 2009 & 2010 Birthday Bash, 2010 and 2011 BET Awards, 2010 BET Hip-Hop Awards, 2011 MTV Video Music Awards, Super Bowl XLV, BET Rip The Runway 2010 and BET Honors 2011. Currently a Production Assistant for BET and MTV, Ayers has worked with  and met many celebrities such as Juelz Santana, Travis Porter, Lupe Fiasco, Tank, J.Cole,Musiq Soulchild and Melanie Fiona. One of her biggest accomplishments includes launching and becoming the C.E.O of  her own magazine (www.theurbanfeedmag.com).Thrilled to share her secrets to success, Kiki dishes about what it takes to become a mogul.

What do you currently study?
I currently Study Journalism with a concentration on Broadcast and I am an English minor.

Are there any clubs or activities that you have participated in on campus that have contributed to you interest in media?
Yes, two club organizations would be WHBC. I hosted a radio show on there last year. Also EPP (Endustry Power Players) is the organization where I met some of my friends for life. They all have a passion of entertainment and it’s where I learned everything from marketing and promotions to PR and branding.

Tell us about your magazine (What prompted its creation?)
It’s more than just news and photos. It’s more than just content and videos. It’s The Urban Feed, feeding you the latest in music, fashion and entertainment. What you’ll find on our website is the quality that lacks on others. We take pride in not being your typical publication, for we are “not the average!” The Urban Feed was created in the fall of 2008 when two heavy hitters (myself and  Andrew Asare) in the world of entertainment joined forces to create a form of media that would challenge the norms of the traditional magazine. It would be classified as real rather than commercial. It would be to the magazine world what the USA Today was for the newspaper industry. It will bring originality back into entertainment and it will be thought of not as just a publication but rather as a movement. 

What are your plans after you graduate?
I graduate December 2011 and I will be in New York no later than January 1st. I currently have a few job offers so I’m weighing out my options but I’ll definitely be working in the media field as a host and or producer. I also definitely plan to take my website to the next level and get it off the ground. I believe in The Urban Feed and I ultimately want to work for myself.

What do you like to do in your free time?
In my free time I like to listen to music, model and hang out with my friends. I feel like somewhere down the line I forgot what really matters and made work my life so I’m working on trying to spend more time with family and friends.

Do you have any advice for people wishing to follow their passion (whether it be in journalism, science, math, etc.)?
My main advice would be to never give up especially when things get hard. You’re not going to get every opportunity you go out for or every job or internship you apply for. Don’t take that as a failure it just a minor set back. I would also say to never let ANYONE get in the way of your dreams or tell you that you can’t do anything. Those are the people you need to cut out of your life.

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!