HU Texas Club Relief Efforts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

With Howard being a university founded on truth and service, it is not surprising to see that Howard Students have quickly taken action in regards to Hurricane Harvey.

On Friday August 25, the tropical storm Hurricane Harvey slammed into Houston Texas after making its way through the southeastern border of the state from the Gulf Coast.[1] This category four hurricane took Houston by storm as it dropped over 40 inches of rain over Texas by the end of a six-day period. [2]

Harvey displaced thousands of Houston residents as a result of its excessive rainfall and flooding. Today, residents consider themselves lucky to have homes which still stand as the storm tore through thousands of Houstonian homes.

The devastation of the storm has inspired organizations and individuals outside of the affected area to contribute to various Harvey relief efforts. Both organizations indigenous to Texas such as the Houston Food Bank and the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Houston, and national organizations such as American Red Cross and Save the Children have relief efforts for Harvey survivors. Even public figures such as Beyoncé Knowles-Carter have done their part in volunteering their time to helping Harvey victims.

On Howard University’s campus members of the Texas Club have stayed true to Howard’s motto of truth and service, and organized a donation drive to support their community back home.

Texas Club partnered with other organizations including Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated, as well as the Florida and Louisiana state clubs to run the drive. Texas Club President, Ahmani Wall, originally from Dallas, Texas, urges Howard students to participate in the drive if they can.

“So far we have had tremendous support and we pray that those helping will continue to help and spread the word!” Wall said. “We encourage the members of the Howard community and the community at large to participate.”

Donation boxes can be found in all dorms as well as the School of Business and the School of Communications. The drive will end Friday, September 29.

[1] Brian Dunbar, Harvey was TD 09-Atlantic Ocean (NASA, 2017), 2.

[2] Brian Dunbar, Harvey was TD 09-Atlantic Ocean, 10.