Hosting at Howard With Jae Murphy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Known as the official host of Howard University, Jae Murphy is powerful presence on campus. His experience ranges from being an on-air personality and  interning for Radio One Inc. to street hip-hop dancing. As many students quickly point out, Murphy never ceases to woo an audience with his humor, high- energy and charisma.Hercampus-Howard University  recieved the opportunity to get the inside scoop about the work involved with hosting at Howard University.

1. What do you think makes you a campus celebrity?

I believe it is the daily social interactions that I have with my peers; including my friends, mutual friends, associates, and my common display of friendliness, humor, and charisma with people that I don’t even know when walking past them. So when the same person I had laughing at a silly comment I made while holding the door for them as they were walking into the student center, spots me on stage hosting theHoward University Homecoming Yardfest, that gives them confirmation of them knowing who I am and overall it humbles me to know that my fellow undergraduate colleagues support me. 

2. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

In 2017, I plan to be on a National Syndicated Radio Show, a TV/VJ-Personality under Viacom on my own music television show, and I will have acting roles in at least 3 box office films. I will also initiate a foundation for youth encouraging college education after high school. 

3. Who are your real world celebrity role models?

My father, Nick Sneed (R&B Artist/my line brother), Luke Lawal (CEO of HBCUBuzz.com), DJ Money (Radio One – WKYS DJ), LaGreg Harrison (CEO of Board Administration Music Label), Sinclair Skinner (Mentor), and Kevin Reed (CEO of Southern Hospitality Entertainment Group/My Manager). All of these men have taught not too enslave my mind with settling for mediocre success. They always encourage me to do it BIG and dream BIGGER!

4. How would you challenge other HU students to maximize their celebrity potential?

“I challenge all students not too sit on their talents and just smoke the kush of procrastination, drink the Ciroc of stagnation, or let alone even party at the club of no motivation. Instead use your imagination and dream about the things that you can’t see, make it tangible through determination, so your dreams can become your reality. That’s my inspiration…” – Jae Murphy

“If the world can’t see your talent, then your talent defeats the purpose of being expressive.” -Jae Murphy

5. What would you be doing right now if you were not a campus celebrity?

I honestly don’t know. There is nothing else I could see myself doing so I guess I was born to be a campus celebrity since I started at Howard in the fall of 2007. The question is how big of a celebrity will I be after graduating in May 2012. Only time will tell…

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!