Harvey Weinstein and Sexual Assault Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Lead Image: Getty Images

Kayla Cash

In the height of Trump’s avoidance of Puerto Rico’s hurricane relief and badgering of NFL athlete protesters, Harvey Weinstein became a target of sexual allegations. The sexual assault allegations emerged with a New York Times article early October where victims came forward about Weinstein sexually harassing them. As the allegations became more in the spotlight, more victims came forth which led social media to be the driving force behind the downfall of Harvey Weinstein.

https://twitter.com/thronesfacts/status/920361231126376448

Some view Harvey Weinstein allegations as absurd or conspiracies. James Corden even joked about it. Others feel deeply connected to it. As represented by the #MeToo trend on twitter, victims of sexual assault came together on a serious subject our culture seems to not care about. Sexual assault happens every day yet we do not acknowledge it until a famous filmmaker is at the forefront of it. Do we really care about the victims of sexual assault? Do we care about the punishment that sexual assaulters should face? Or do we just want to make a famous star feel bad about the women he hurt in the past years?

Allegations of sexual assault, rape, or harassment have always been controversial because of mere evidence. Do we just take an alleged victim’s word? Is there clear evidence that the accuser did what one said? This nation needs a serious conversation on this topic. We also have to advocate for the justice for all victims of sexual assault. Incidences occur every day and we have to come together and stop these reoccurring attacks on bodies.

“You’re not a victim for sharing your story. You are a survivor setting the world on fire with your truth. And you never know who needs your light, your warmth, and raging courage” — Alex Elle

Kayla Cash

Howard '22

Kayla Cash is a senior at Howard University currently majoring in civil engineering. She is from Jacksonville, Florida. She strives to be valuable in any career field ranging from filmmaking and engineering. Kayla Cash is the epitome of a renaissance woman.