Damaris Skelton Says wHazzUp to Howard University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Damaris Skelton, 19, is a sophomore marketing major hailing from the Bronx, New York. She is a part of F.A.M.E. Enterprise Collective, Too Deep Entertainment, and DollaNaDream Productions and is currently working on a TV project called wHazzUp HU that has just released its first episode. Not one to limit herself on or off campus, Skelton sat down with HerCampus to tell us what exactly her life entails.

What are you involved in on campus?

I am a member of the New York Club, Productions Coordinator for Endustry Power Players (EPP), team leader in the School of Business, and a member of Caribbean Student Association.

What projects are you currently working on?

Currently I am in the process of setting up a college fund (Tuition) for two students (male/female) from back home. The main reason students do not go to college or continue some for of education is because they cannot afford it and in my eyes I do not think that should be an excuse to not continue something that is in essence, free. In addition, I am building the ground plans for a male mentoring program. There is a low percentage (especially at Howard) of males (specifically minorities) continuing their education and growing up I haven’t seen many thriving mentoring programs dedicated to males into becoming men. I know they are out there I just have not seen many of them. I am also setting one up for females, but I just see there is a need for the male mentoring program.

What motivated to start wHazzUp HU and how far would you like for it to go?

Funny story, my friend Eboni Price (CEO of DollaNaDream Productions and Director of wHazzUp) and I were in McDonalds (on Georgia Avenue) for her birthday just sitting there talking about another production we wanted to do for DollaNaDream Productions because we finished the “When I was a Freshman” video. Long story short, we kept hearing a lot of students who didn’t know what was going on, on campus, and wished that they had someplace to go find it out, just one central location. In addition, we know there are a lot of students who are on their grind and many people do not know of them, and they needed to be noticed. In all, we wanted to provide a medium for those themes to be presented. So far it has been a great experience. I love working with Eboni because we are both passionate about this web series to provide to the Howard community. The future of wHazzUp is to be the voice of HU from HU students first hand.

What do you do in your free time?

Catch up on Sleep!!! Sing and performing, Community service projects (participate and in the process of creating), Spend quality time with friends and family

What are your plans for the future?

My plan for the future first and foremost is to be successful and HAPPY in whatever I do. It’s hard to plan out everything for my future, even though I wish I could, because life has twists and turns that I cannot see yet. My ultimate goal is to have a performing arts center dedicated to the arts and education because performing arts (theater, music, dance, poetry) has always been apart of my life and I take education, in and outside the classroom, seriously. There are many steps I need to take before I settle and build this center because I want to make sure I have experienced many aspects of life such as corporate America, teaching, entertainment industry, as well as non for profit because the center will incorporate pieces from those aspects of life. I would also love to perform at Madison Square Garden (I know random). I’ve had the opportunity to perform in many places in NY such as the US Open in Queens (tennis), Carnegie Hall, and many other places, but performing at Madison Square Garden will make me complete.

What legacy would you like to leave behind?

The legacy I want to leave behind is my name. I know it sounds cliché, but within my name I want people to know I am a divine individual fashioned by GOD to be radiantly beautiful.

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!