This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Most girls take pride in their appearance, but hair is really what pulls the look together from head to toe. Whether you have a weave or natural hair everyone wants to know what they can do with their natural hair texture. African American hair textures range generally range from 3C to 4C hair. But it’s important to remember that there is no perfect hair texture, nor average hair texture because black hair varies. A great way to learn different styling methods and products corresponding with your texture are YouTube videos!

So, here’s a great breakdown of ALL African American hair textures with product suggestions:

3C Hair is very voluminous and has defined curls that are spiraled. This means that this hair texture is perfect for the “wash and go” style, and requires little to no styling to achieve naturally curly looks. For washing 3C hair its best to use Mixed Chicks products. Mixed Chicks Shampoo ($11.99) is recommended for use typically once a month depending upon how dirty your hair gets. Constant shampooing is not recommended because it strips your hair of its natural oils, causing it to dry out. When you are not shampooing, a deep conditioner ($10.99) is recommended for use weekly. Once your 3C hair is washed, Shea Moistures “Curl enhancing smoothie” ($12.99) should be applied throughout your hair for hydrating your curls.

4A Hair is naturally curl and resembles an “S” pattern, but tends to get tightly coiled when it begins to dry. This hair is best when styled with a product, and left over night to air dry. When washing 4A Hair it is great to use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. Sulfate free products have many benefits, but the most important is to restore your hairs moisture. A great sulfate free brand is Curls and their recommended products are, “Pure Curls-Clarifying Shampoo” ($12) and “Coconut Sublime Conditioner” ($16).When styling your 4A curls, “Creme of Nature’s” “Butter-Licious Curls” ($6.37) is a good option. This butter-creme adds shine, reduces dryness, and breakage. Also to finish off your desired hairstyle, Murrys “Edge Wax” ($4.50) is a reliable product for holding down untamable edges.

4B Hair is much different than the previous textures of hair. This hair is coarser and has a “Z” shaped pattern. When styling this hair it has the best outcome when you create your own curls using Perm rods or Flexi rods. This texture of hair experiences shrinkage, but using styling tools will help alleviate that. On 4B textured hair, Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Leave in Conditioner” ($4.20) is great for detangling and prepping for your desired style. Once you’ve used you’re conditioning product let your hair air dry, then continue with OGX Moroccan Argan Oil Healing Dry Oil” ($5.74). This hair texture also drys out so it needs constant moisture applied at least twice a day.

4C Hair is very similar to 4B hair except these strands of hair are not as defined and is harder to maintain. For washing this texture hair the As I Am, “Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner” ($9) is a go-to product. This conditioner has all natural ingredients and removes dirt or built up product from previous styling. When styling this hair texture you can add EcoStyler “Styling Gel” ($4.79) on damp or dry hair to help define curls. This gel separates curls from sticking to one another and also has a great hold to help define curls as well.

Whatever hair texture you have it is important to follow a healthy routine with it. Regularly condition and detangle your hair, avoid heat, and protect your hair from cotton and other harsh materials to avoid breakage. So, let’s love the hair we have and learn the best techniques to manage and style it!

Montana Couser is a Journalism Major at Howard University. Her ultimate career goal in life is to become the Editor-in-Cheif of a top magazine or a News Anchor for E! News. She is from the city of brotherly love Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where she likes to spend time with family and friends. Montana transferred from another HBCU into Howard as a Sophomore and hopes to gain more experience in the field of the journalism as her time progresses at Howard. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Montana is also a contributing writer for her schools newspaper The Hilltop. In her free time she enjoys going to the movies and reading blogs.