For the College Girl: How to Keep Your New Year Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

The New Year is a time many people use to start fresh. The newness inspires change of all sorts, with common resolutions including eating healthier, losing weight, and being a nicer person. While so many begin the new year off on a positive note intending to make positive change, often the stress of school, work, family life, etc. can get in the way of a resolution. As the story usually goes, after a week or two of following through, we go back to our old habits. Often people tend to find it hard to keep resolutions because it is hard to unlearn a set behavior. More simply, it is difficult to break bad habits, considering a lot of the time these habits have been put into practice for years. Even after multiple failures, though, there is hope in all resolutions. It is completely possible to make a resolution and follow through with it. With these simple helpful hints, here’s how you can live up to your expectations and fulfill your resolutions as well.

The first step to successfully reaching your resolution goal(s) is to remember that you are not alone. So, don’t go at it alone! Working towards your goal with a group of friends can make it so much easier. You can depend on each other for support and encouragement every step of the way. Once you have a solid support system, it is important to set realistic goals for yourself. Whatever your resolution may be, make it realistic and attainable. Instead of giving yourself a goal that is impossible, say—losing thirty pounds by March it is vital that you start small and let your little successes gradually get you to the bigger one!

Another helpful hint for reaching your New Year resolution is to have a plan of action. Know what you want to do and how exactly you want to do it. Following a plan makes sticking to the plan a lot easier. Also, you are less likely to break your resolution if it is written down. Your word is your bond so if you give your word (in writing) that you are going to do something, you are more likely than not to do it. Along these same lines, it is vital to be patient. Often, when we have expectations of ourselves, we expect to see change right away, but this is unrealistic. Be honest with yourself and take baby steps. Nothing is going to happen overnight. Don’t beat yourself up if you aren’t succeeding the rate you first expected. Simply try harder every day. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

The last bit of advice that can help you reach your goal is to be honest about what you want. It is normal for many to give themselves resolutions just because it is a New Year’s tradition. It is important to remember that just because everyone else is doing it, it doesn’t mean you have to! There is no specific time to set a goal for yourself and make it happen, so don’t feel obligated to wait until the New Year to make change in your life. Honesty is key, so whatever you decide to do for the New Year, resolution or not, make sure you do it for you, and no one else!

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!