#BlackGirlMagic: The Hashtag You NEED To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

It’s real, it’s charming, and it’s just pure beautiful. #BlackGirlMagic is the spark needed to light this dull universe. It’s celebrating the dopeness and unparalleled beauty of black girls and women all around the world.

When it comes to the beauty of black women, our glamour is simply unmatched. From dipped dark chocolate melanin goddesses to light skin women of angelic beauty to beautiful brown women, black women range in different shades of black- each pure in their own way.

Twitter was the first to bring light to the hashtag #BlackGirlMagic when black girls would drop jaw-dropping selfies and pictures of themselves like it was nothing. From there, twitter went on to celebrate deeper beyond the faces. They celebrated our talents like art, writing, singing, etc. Social media broadcasted the brilliance of so many black women that would otherwise be swept under the rug. Twitter advertised black owned businesses and black women graduating from colleges with bachelor’s degrees.

However, it’s important to note that it wasn’t just successful, accomplished black women. It was also black women that were still finding their craft and learning to appreciate their majestic melanin. The hashtag uplifted and supported black girls. #BlackGirlMagic made its way to become an important hashtag on apps like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook and connected the world to intelligent, beautiful, talented, and skilled black women.

Although our rawness shines and reflects light on ourselves and others, black women often find themselves the target of hatred, discrimination, and physical harm. Malcolm X once said, “The most disrespected person in America is the Black woman, the most unprotected person in America is the Black woman. The most neglected person in America is the Black woman” and that statement still holds true today. I’m not saying a hashtag has the power to end racism and prejudice against black women, but it does have the power to shine a positive light on us. We’re often stereotyped as uneducated, loud, and useless, but once you click that hashtag on twitter it’s just black women earning degrees, black beauty, black talent, and black women using their “loudness” as a powerful platform to get their creative ideas out into the world.

This simple hashtag became more than a hashtag and created a lifestyle or even, a starting point. Black women became more open to expression and putting themselves out there. And once a black girl knows she’s worth more than anything and she’s just as strong and skilled as anyone, there’s no telling what she’ll do.

Before I end this article, I would just like to say that all women are beautiful and wildly unique. This article was just written to celebrate the essence of black women because we are often ignored. With that being said, search up the hashtag #BlackGirlMagic, and prepare to be mesmerized.

Hi! My name is Joy Adigwe and I am eighteen years old. I am a freshman at Howard University and my major is biology. I am on track for pre- med, however I do have hobbies and other passions on the side. My interests include art, writing, and reading. I can't wait to bring my talents and skills to HerCampus and work with everyone!