Baddie on a Budget: How to Pop Out “For the Low”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

By: T’Keyah Hayes

Need something cute to strut around the yard with but your wallet is saying no? You probably have plenty of ideas for Fall outfits in mind. Here’s how to bring your dream looks to life without breaking the bank:

1. Thrift Stores

Even Macklemore approves. Thrift shops have always been a place to get affordable clothes, but have you ever actually thought they have cute AND affordable clothes? Some of my favorite thrift shops in the D.C. area include Buffalo Exchange and Martha’s Table, where I find great steals (such as the black crushed velvet thigh high boots I found from Buffalo Exchange for $28!).

1. GroupMe

When you go to Howard, you already know that GroupMe is the marketplace for literally everything: essays, textbooks, food runs…EVERYTHING! It’s even possible to find some good outfits amongst your peers. In trademark HU chats such as HU Quicksell and Shop My Closet, you can find cute clothes for the low. Besides, why wouldn’t you trust your fellow Bison with your style?

1. AliExpress

Some people prefer to shop online but don’t want to pay the prices from popular sites such as Fashion Nova and Zaful. AliExpress is a Chinese-based marketplace well known for their virgin hair vendors, but did you know they sell clothes as well? You can get some great outfits from AliExpress for less than $20 (I kid you not, LESS THAN $20!). Despite the lengthy wait to receive certain items and possible confusion with sizing (their clothes runs in Asian sizes), AliExpress has become one of my favorite online boutiques for when I have a couple of dollars in my bank account…you know, the struggles of being a college student.

Below are some of my recent purchases from AliExpress:

Brown off-the-shoulder button-down dress, $14.19

Two-piece checkerboard “Vibes” set, $13.62

Remember, always pop out according to what you can afford. Your style will be distinctive no matter the price! With these three options, there’s no doubt you’ll slay.