10 Celebrities You Never Knew Attended an HBCU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Many people are completely unaware of the fact that several of the biggest names in the entertainment industry got their start at a historically black college/university. While in school, they were able to learn and perfect their craft and because of this, many of these celebrities attribute their success to their beloved HBCU. So here they are, 10 celebrities you never knew attended an HBCU!

1. Rick Ross

Before becoming the Teflon Don rapper that we are all familiar with, Rick Ross attended Albany State University for one year on a football scholarship.

2. K. Michelle

Well known TV personality and singer K Michelle received a music scholarship from Florida A&M University. K Michelle is also a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

3. Wendy Raquel Robinson

Before she was The Games Tasha Mack, Robinson was a fellow Bison! This actress graduated with honors from Howard University and earned a degree in drama!

4. Oprah Winfrey

Its only right that one of the most powerful women in the world went to an HBCU. Thats right, Oprah Winfrey received a full scholarship to Tennessee State University where she studied communications.

5. Common

With a music career on the brain, Common managed to stay true to his studies and still find time to record in the studio. He attended Florida A&M University and studied business administration.

6. Lionel Richie

This entertainer was a student at Tuskegee University on a tennis scholarship. Richie received his degree in economics then later on, decided that music was his true passion. 

7. Erykah Badu

Before she became the First Lady of Neo-Soul, Erykah Badu was a theatre major at Grambling State University.

8. Wale

Wale actually attended two HBCUs; he initially attended Virginia State University on a football scholarship then transferred to Bowie State University. Its clear he couldnt get enough of HBCUs!

9. Keshia Knight-Pulliam 

Keshia Knight Pulliam is a Spelmanite and a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. The actress graduated with a degree in sociology.

10. 2 Chainz

Rapper 2 Chainz received an athletic scholarship to play college basketball at Alabama State University. 

Sophomore PR Major at Howard University. Blessed to be from the greatest and most beautiful city on the planet, San Francisco, CA. Obsessed with anything fashion-related, French fries, cherry lime lemonade from Hot Dog on a Stick and the smell of Gain laundry detergent.