Reflecting Back on my Sophomore Year on The Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Isn’t it funny how, no matter how long each day feels on the Hill, when the year comes to a close it always feels as though you just arrived? Cliché perhaps, but time has absolutely flown by-  I am finding it hard to believe that my college career is about to reach the halfway point! While I am more than ready to take a break from the books, I will miss Mt. Saint James dearly over the next few months. For now, a nostalgic look back at my experience as a second year, how HoCro has become nothing short of a second home, and how the wise words of Rascal Flatts are so true, “So good, so right, this is one night (YEAR) I’m wishing I could rewind.”

A Few (of the many!) Things Sophomore Year Has Taught Me:

1. Embrace change: I could say that departing Wheeler last Spring was bittersweet, but it was mostly just bitter. I didn’t want to kiss goodbye my quaint little room (closet) on the first floor, which allowed me to travel to Cool Beans in approx. 32 seconds, and was a stone throw away from Beaven and my cute cube in Dinand. But, alas, I was to make the transition to Clark Hall in the Fall whether I liked it or not. And you know what?  I ended up loving it.

2. Healy isn’t the end all be all:As I said, I loved Clark. Yes, the walk is a bit further to, well, just about everything. Yes, you are further from Hogan than an entire Freshman dorm. Yes, you are next to Mulledy. But, yes, you also have the opportunity to forge so many new, incredible relationships, and yes, you do have critical access to Clark Beach right outside your window.  Healy’s location? It can’t be beat. But if you end up in Clark your second year, I can tell you it will probably be home to some of your fondest memories.

3. You Still Have Time:Haven’t decided on your major? Sophomore year is the perfect time to sort everything out. While I personally knew from the Intro course that Sociology was the right fit for me, Soph year allowed me to enroll in a few elective courses within the academic field to reassure me of my decision. Freshman year can be overwhelming at times, especially as you are enrolled in a variety of courses, but Sophomore year is the perfect time to hone in on your experience thus far and discover your true passions.

4. No matter how hard you try, you will not make it to the end of the semester with a single dining dollar left:Who knew a Kind Bar craze, caffeine cravings, and a Jamaican Jammer obsession could break the bank so quickly?! #JuniorYearGoals

5. Burnetts:It was the cause of most of my Freshman year struggles. My advice? Switch up your beverage of choice Sophomore year. Cheap mimosas anyone?! You can thank me later ;-)

6. You belong here:As you start to find your passions, become involved in extracurriculars which you find meaningful, and forge new relationships, this truth will really start to settle in. We are all at this school for a reason and it is because…

7. You are going to make a difference:As you begin to pursue your academic passions, the realization that your education has the potential to enable you to do wonderful things in this world is empowering.

8. Kimball stir fry is worth the wait:Sure, dinner may take me 45 minutes longer than the average student, but my way-too-specific order with just a little teriyaki is too tasty to pass up!

9. Love really is all you need:I knew this one all along. But each day I become more grateful for the network of support and love I carry with me day in and day out. Holla @ my unbelievably wonderful friends, family & BF. :-*

10. Always remember the important things in life:Being a student at HC can surely get overwhelming, and it can be easy to get bogged down in the negative with an overwhelming workload or jam-packed schedule to manage. This year has taught me to sit back, take a few breaths, and remind myself of all the blessings in my life. In the end, the health and happiness of those you love is what truly matters. With determination and a positive outlook on life, the rest will fall into place.

Alicia Perry

Holy Cross