Georden West: The Optimistic Politician

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hollins chapter.

Last week, Georden West was elected president of the class of 2015 for the second year in a row. We chatted about how SGA is like a Hershey Bar,  why you should run for an SGA position, her ideal major (a major in life with a minor in PE) and how she keeps that big smile on her face all day (Warning: Disney Princesses are involved).

Amber Rambharose (AR): What is your major?
Georden West (GW): I am undecided right now.
AR: Do you know what direction you’re headed in or are you still testing the waters?
GW: I’m still testing the waters. There are so many things I am interested and so many opportunities that Hollins had made me interested, pretty much everything. I’d like to say I’m majoring in life and minoring in PE but you can’t do that so…eventually I’ll have a plan!
AR: Were you involved in student government in high school?
GW: I was! I was class president in my freshman and sophomore year and I served on advisor’s council during my junior year but I’ve never been in such a strong group as we have here. In student government in high school you know, you have an advisor and the student body president, they help out but really it’s run by a teacher. So here, getting to work with such a mature group of women on projects that actually come to fruition and actually having the ability to do what my class likes, that’s something very new.
AR: Awesome! So you were elected to be president of your class again, how did that feel?
GW: Oh my gosh, it feels so good! I swear, SGA is my one true love! When I grow up and never get married and live alone with lots of cats, I’ll think back and be like, ‘Oh! SGA!’
AR: Is being president of your class something you see yourself doing for all four years at Hollins?
GW: Yes! I would like to serve as president of the class of 2015, at least until junior year. During senior year, I might want to run for SGA President, but I’m not sure I want to do that because I love my class so much and representing them has meant the world to me.
AR: Right now we have a lot of spaces in the class of 2013 as well as general positions on HAB and in SGA open. What would you say to encourage someone to run for one of these positions?
GW: I would say it will be the best experience of your life. Not running is like being in a grocery store and walking towards the candy isle and just never walking down the candy isle and looking at what you can get. SGA is like a Hersey Bar, I love SGA!
AR: Last question, how do you maintain such an aura of positivity all day? I have never seen you not positive and excited.
GW: I have a princess room and so when I wake up, I have a castle that surrounds my bed and my curtains are pink and Belle and Ariel are just starring down at me and I’m like ‘yeah, you guys rock, I’m gonna rock too today!’ So yeah, they’re my friends, they don’t talk back, probably because they’re posters but I just wake up in the morning and I feel good! 

Amber is a recent graduate from Hollins University. She greatly enjoyed her time as HC Hollins Editor-In-Chief and looks forward to seeing what great things new students bring to the branch.