Your Questions About Sorority Recruitment Answered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With Hofstra’s recruitment season starting early this year many of you who are interested probably have no idea where to begin! It’s ok; we understand your hesitation when you are barely secured within your own schedule. However, don’t think just because it’s early that you should hold off, unless of course you’re a freshmen, in which go get that high GPA girl! To help you out I’ve answered the top questions that usually come around recruitment season.

How did I know which organization is right for me?

This one is tricky for us in Greek life to answer. It’s like when your friend asks you whether you can help them with their homework, you want to help them but don’t want to do it for them! With that being said, try out every option, go out with everyone, meet and mingle even if you don’t think it’s right for you. Truthfully most people going through recruitment know within 20 minutes whether it’s not a match or whether it is – trust your gut when you’re conflicted between more than one org and ask questions!

How much of a time commitment is Greek Life?

As the age old saying goes, you get out of Greek life what you put into it. Every organization has their own attendance policies and events happening during the week but it’s usually plans you would have already done, just in a structured environment. So just think about your life as is and what you take time out of your schedule to do, it’s not impossible! Plus FOMO is real when you’re not around, just sayin’.

Do I have to pay?

The short answer, yes. But don’t let anyone EVER tell you you’re paying for your friends. You’re paying for philanthropic events, social activities on and off campus, more apparel then honestly the average person needs and for your national or local org to continue to thrive for many years to come!

Can I still have friends outside of Greek Life?

YES! If you didn’t you’d be insane, no offense to your sisters. Going back to the question of time, you’re with your sisters for a good portion of it so the best thing you can do is keep around your non-Greek friends for life just like you would your sisters. Plus there are some memories and experiences that only your day ones will understand.

What opportunities does it present?

A ton. On a serious note Greek life allows you to explore different outlets that you otherwise wouldn’t have known about. In every organization you have the opportunity to move up through the ranks, which mimics real world experience. And lastly, the connections you make regardless of local or national is insane, there are alumni that pave the way for you to make your future just a little bit easier.

What does Greek life do?

Bad news, if you’re looking to just party then you are out of luck. Yes we are all very social around campus however our main goals are philanthropic to give back to causes we’re passionate about, supporting other organizations events (which are very fun), participate in leadership opportunities throughout campus in various outlets and encourage girls to live up to their biggest potential together.

Bonus Question:

Do I have to be crafty?

It helps, but don’t worry about it! Not everyone’s an artist and your big/little will appreciate any effort you put into crafts. And when all else fails, those who are good at crafts usually love to do them for other people!

I hope this answers the major questions but feel free to ask more throughout the process and I hope you find home!

Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.