Winter Fun Around Long Island and NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Winter is hands-down one of the best times of the year. Hot chocolate, scarves, boots, and snow all make winter what it is, especially on Long Island. Whether you’re new to New York this semester or a Hofstra winter pro, here are some fresh suggestions of fun things to do to keep you busy in these long months. So, cuddle up, grab some hot cocoa, and get ready to plan your next winter adventure!

Union Square Park Holiday Market

This is, personally, my favorite holiday activity in NYC because it gets me in the Christmas spirit without the overcrowded feel of Rockefeller Center. The market is lined with small pop-up shops full of crafty jewelry, new books, and great food (I recently had my first waffle from Wafels and Dinges and my life has changed forever).

A post shared by ABC7NY (@abc7ny) on

Fifth Avenue’s Holiday Displays

This is perfect for anyone who wants the city holiday experience without the wallet. All along Fifth Avenue, stores create elaborate holiday displays for everyone to see. Take a stroll down this street and you’ll be singing “fa la la la la” in no time!

Ice Skating at Christopher Morley Park

Ice skating is a classic winter activity, but waiting in hours of lines in Bryant Park or Rockefeller Center kills the fun! Skip the city and head over to Christopher Morley Park in Roslyn for the outdoor ice skating experience you want (don’t forget to bring someone to hold your hand).

See a movie at the AMC Roosevelt Field Theater

The best movies always come out during the winter because more people want to stay in than be outside! Grab your girl squad and jump in a 15 minute Uber ride to Roosevelt Field to see Bad Moms Christmas.

New York Islanders Hockey at Barclays Center

Support Long Island’s hockey team and go see a game at the Barclay’s Center! Hockey games are super fun and make a great date night. Tickets are usually inexpensive and there’s always hot cocoa being served!

Bryant Park Winter Village

If you’re feeling brave enough to face the crowds, the Bryant Park Winter Village is definitely worth it. It’s similar to Union Square but is much bigger and has ice skating, a lit tree, and bigger shops. I prefer Union Square for the cozy feel, but Bryant Park for the entertainment, and the chocolate shop, No Chewing Allowed, has the softest, sweetest chocolate in the city.

A post shared by Bryant Park (@bryantparknyc) on

Jones Beach Magic of Lights Show

This 1.5 mile, drive-through light show is the most popular on the item, and is only $20 per car. The Jones Beach Light Show is sure to get you in the Christmas spirit. Every Tuesday is double-drive-through night, and every Wednesday the creators collect toys for sick children. If you donate, you get $5 off your car! All proceeds go to charitable organizations, and it’s the perfect activity for you and your squad (or your new bae) to pile into the car and see some incredible light displays.

The best things to do in winter include getting out of the dorm, putting on some gloves, and shaking out that cabin fever. Whether you’re ice skating with your boo or holiday market shopping with your squad, winter is full of fun things to do, especially around the Island and NYC.

Madison Mento is a senior at Hofstra University and is majoring in Public Relations with minors in Spanish and Photography. She is a writer, artist, activist, and avid ginger. She likes her coffee iced, her pizza hot, and anything to do with beauty. She is currently the Co-President of Her Campus Hofstra and loves the organization!