courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Your Best Friends Are The Most Important People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If you’re fortunate, you will find, or have already found, a few amazing friends life long friends. They usually turn up unexpectedly, because the best things in life happen when you least expect it. Lucky for me, I am blessed with a couple of friends who have become family.

I am a big believer of everything happening for a reason. I believe people come into your life for a reason, and that people also walk in and out of it to teach you life lessons. In some cases, you meet your best friends because of someone who left your life, for the better.

You know they’re here to stay when you unleash your most microscopic problems on them for the first time, and they give you life advice like it is their job. Like they were put on this earth to make sure nothing puts you down. Soon enough, the small problems you were afraid to open up to them about end up being problems you can’t wait to share with them, just because you know they’ll give you a sense of power, confidence, and will yell at the world with you.

Although they’re there to help you with every freak out, they’re also not afraid to tell you when you’re wrong. If you make a wrong decision, they’ll happily tell you that you messed up, without being malicious. They will also tell you to not buy that top because it makes you look like a sack of potatoes, and it’s much appreciated.

Your best friends will also step in when times are tough. They’re your shoulder to cry on, they will hold you when you need a hug most, and they’re your personal comedians to put a smile on your face when you’re feeling down. Let’s also not forget they’ll be sure to kick a boy’s butt if they break your heart.

Not only do they serve as a motherly, protective guide, if the friendship is real, you start to become a lot like each other. You’ll end up saying things at the same time and reading each other’s minds. And you might also end up knowing their schedule better than they do.

They also know every single weird fact about you. Like that time you picked your nose in 3rd grade and told them about it during a 4 a.m., deep conversation. But the greatest thing ever is that they also have really weird stories, and you can blackmail them right back. Therefore, they will never judge you.

You and your best friends will never have awkward silences. You can talk for hours or sit in silence and have it still feel completely comfortable and enjoyable. You’ll might also end up passing a burp to break the silence, and then you’ll start laughing uncontrollably together.

So next time you go running into your best friend’s arms, make sure you remember how lucky you are to have someone (or multiple someones) who make you laugh uncontrollably, wipe the tears off your face, calm you down in your worst moments, and someone who you can be yourself around. Those rare gems are diamonds in the rough, and remember to never let them go.

Hi everyone! I'm 21 years old, studying Journalism with minors in Creative Writing and Marketing. Her Campus has given me place to write what I want, and I' so glad to share these articles with you!
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.