What Your Favorite Snapchat Filter Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If you’re a self-proclaimed Snapchat addict, there’s a couple things you know to be true: your favorite part of the day is spent checking the new filters, you’re always in search of a good geotag, you’ll do whatever it takes to get the perfect angle for your story, and your favorite filter says a lot about your personality. Read on to find out what you’re truly saying about yourself through the filters you love!

Your Bitmoji

If a Bitmoji filter is your go-to, you’re a pretty chill person who doesn’t need extravagant things to make you happy. (There’s also a chance you’re just happy that you can finally be like Lizzie McGuire). Why use a filter when there’s a literal cartoon version of yourself to show off??

Face swap

Not only did Snapchat change the game when they added the face swap filter, but they raised the bar again when they introduced the ability to face swap with any face detected in your camera role. If this is your favorite filter, you’re basically the life of the party, and you love making people laugh.

The dog

Simply put, you’re basic and proud. You probably stop at Starbucks no less than once a day, and you don’t care how many times people criticize this filter. The dog filter is your ride or die, until the end.  

Any voice changer

Arguably the cutest filters that Snapchat comes up with, the voice changer indicates that you’re a sweet, kind person that everyone wants to be friends with. You probably have a soft spot for baby animals, too.

The flower crown

Whether you’re a fan of indie music festivals or you just like flower crowns in general, this filter tells everyone that you’re an easy-going, lovable collegiette. You make everyone feel at ease with your friendly personality and you’re probably always on the lookout for the next flower patch for the ‘gram.

Running makeup

If you’re a self-proclaimed “hot mess,” you can relate to this filter on a spiritual level. But in all seriousness, if you’ve ever experienced a makeup catastrophe like this, it either says you got caught in a rain storm or you had a ~wee~ bit too much fun before things went downhill. Don’t worry though, because what this really says is that you know how to rock a smoky eye and a red lip (even if it does get a little smudged).   

The bread slice

Let’s be real – we all can relate to this filter on a spiritual level. Whether you’re a hardcore carb-lover or just like the pink tint it gives your cheeks, you love to have fun and you’ll do anything to make your friends smile. You truly are the greatest thing since sliced bread!

The fun doesn’t stop here! Be sure to add HCHofstra on Snapchat for a behind the scenes look at life as a collegiette here at Hofstra:

Sarah Hanlon is a senior at Hofstra University where she is pursuing a major in journalism. She almost always has an iced coffee in her hand, and she's an avid lover of online shopping, reality TV, and New York City. When she’s not researching all things Kate Middleton or reading lifestyle blogs, you can find her binge watching The Bachelor or writing about the latest pop culture, fashion and beauty trends. After college, she hopes to make a career out of her love for TV and style in New York. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram: sarahhanlon_.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.