sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Self-Love Means To Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Self love isn’t easy for everyone. Many people find it hard to be happy with themselves. They find it hard to take compliments, be confident, and truly love who they are. 

For me, self-love can mean several things. It can mean taking the time to treat yourself to something you really want or being confident in yourself and knowing who you are. It can be as simple as wearing something in your favorite color or reading your favorite book just because it makes you feel good. What self-love truly means to me is accepting who you fully are, without putting yourself down or letting what others say hurt you. It is feeling like you belong in your own skin and being proud of every single thing you do. 

It took a long time for me to truly love myself, and the process is different for everyone. I know it started for me when I stopped letting other people’s words hurt me. People used to call me fat and shamed me for being Jewish, and it really got to me. I remember crying, thinking that I wasn’t good enough. As I got older, I realized that their words didn’t matter and that I was beautiful and good enough. I became more confident in who I was. It was really hard trying to move past all of the negativity, but I can easily say that I love myself for who I am. I don’t know how it happens, but it’s just a feeling. 

Some may see self-love as being selfish or egotistical but I completely disagree. It is important and necessary to love yourself. It doesn’t make you selfish. Self-love is regard for your well being and happiness that no one should be able to take away from you. 

“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection”- Buddha

I'm a Jersey girl who loves fashion! I also have a passion for reading and writing. I enjoy spending time with family and friends and love trying new things!