Valentine’s Day As Told by Hofstra Males

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Many guys have a love/hate relationship with Valentine’s Day. The pressures of planning a special day and finding the perfect gift can be overwhelming. Not to mention there is always that one guy who goes above and beyond and makes everyone else look bad. While some feel there is no point to the holiday, others think it’s a great opportunity to show someone they care. One thing the guys all agree on – it costs too much money!

Ekow Nana-Kweson, 20

I like Valentine’s Day! I like the concept of spreading love to friends or a lover or family members, whoever it be. I just think it’s really important to make an effort to show people in your life that you love them.

PJ Potter, 20

Valentine’s Day is a nice holiday to dedicate to the one you really love. Even though you should love that person every day, I think it’s nice to actually have a day dedicated just to that. Me personally, I don’t have a girlfriend so I don’t really participate in it. I can understand why some people don’t like it because it can cost a lot of money, but I think it would be nice to.

Justin Rezin, 20

I don’t like Valentine’s Day. If you care about someone you should care about them all the time, you don’t need a special day to do it.

David Lavallee, 19

I think Valentine’s Day can be a fun day. Spending it with someone you truly care about can be really special. Having said that, sometimes it promotes a type of material love that this culture is infatuated with. The amount of money spent for Valentine’s Day is absolutely absurd and over the top. My advice is to spend it with someone who you truly care about, make it special but not too over the top!

Daniel Leahy, 21

I think it’s great! It’s a day for people who care about each other to just spend time together and show how much they mean to them!

John Napolitano, 19

I’m all for the love and the romance of Valentine’s Day. Unfortunately, I feel like it has become too much of a commercialized holiday. Companies are just in it for the money and the profit of selling chocolates and flowers and cards but you know, all power to them. Everyone should get some loving going on, on Valentine’s Day!

Bobby Mitchell, 20

I think Valentine’s Day is good in theory. It’s a day for people who are in love to celebrate that love. But for people who are single, like me, the holiday doesn’t mean anything. I’m just going to sit back, watch Netflix and eat ice cream. 

Jessica is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Hofstra University's Her Campus Chapter. Jessica, from New Jersey, is a journalism major and psychology minor at Hofstra University. As a dedicated member of her college's Her Campus chapter since her freshman year, she has held the role of staff writer, Snapshot editor, Secretary and now CC. Outside of Her Campus, Jessica's publications include JeannineMorris.com, TheCelebrityCafe.com, FashionWeek.com, The Hofstra Chronicle and the Long Island Report, where she is also a student editor. In her spare time Jessica enjoys being outdoors, camping and hiking, snowboarding in the winter, hitting the Jersey Shore beaches in the summer, working out and spending time with her friends, family, and pets. Check out her fashion, beauty and lifestyle blog at http://Jessie-Leigh.com.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.