Upcoming Movie Releases To Be Excited For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With 2016 coming to a close and 2017 shortly beginning, there are lots of films coming out this holiday season to look forward to. Whether you’re looking to see a comedy, fantasy adventure, or even a drama, the movie lineup has something for you in the next few months. Here are some of the ones that we’re looking forward to.

Trolls – November 4

The fluffy-haired dolls that most of us know from our childhood get ready to hit the big screen this November. The film follows the story of Poppy, the optimistic leader of the trolls, and Branch, her polar opposite, who must rescue their friends from their enemies, the Bergens, by embarking on an adventure beyond their world. The film features stars, such as Anna Kendrick, who plays Poppy, Justin Timberlake (Branch), Russell Brand (Creek), Zooey Deschanel (Bridget), James Corden (Biggie) and Gwen Stefani (DJ Suki). The movie also includes collaborations between the musical artists involved as they cover popular songs for the film’s soundtrack.

Hacksaw Ridge – November 4

In case a comedy about trolls isn’t your cup of tea, Hacksaw Ridge is a drama that is also being released on November 4. The film is based on the true story of U.S. Army medic Desmond T. Doss, who refused to bear arms, but still received the Medal of Honor by President Truman for single-handedly saving the lives of over 75 comrades during the Battle of Okinawa in World War II. Andrew Garfield stars as Desmond T. Doss, along with Teresa Palmer who plays Dorothy Schutte.

Doctor Strange – November 4

And if neither of those thrill you and you’re more of a superhero/adventure movie fan, Doctor Strange, is coming out on November 4. The film tells the story of Stephen Strange, the world’s top neurosurgeon, whose career is ruined when he is injured in a car accident. While in the process of healing, he encounters the Ancient One, who becomes his mentor in the mystic arts. Benedict Cumberbatch takes on the role of Doctor Strange, along with Chiwetel Ejiofor who plays the supervillain Mordo and Rachel McAdams, who plays Christine Palmer, a former colleague of Strange who helps him anchor his humanity.

The Edge of Seventeen – November 18

If you’re looking for a dramatic comedy, The Edge of Seventeen, tells the story of high school junior Nadine who is at the peak of awkwardness when her best friend Krista starts dating her older brother Darian. Without her best friend, Nadine feels more alone than ever until a boy named Erwin enters her life and gives her a glimmer of hope that things may not be so bad after all. The film stars Hailee Steinfeld as Nadine, Blake Jenner as Darian, Haley Lu Richardson as Krista and Woody Harrelson as Nadine’s teacher, Mr. Bruner.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them – November 18

For all of the Harry Potter fans out there, J.K. Rowling’s next addition to the well-loved series, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, hits theaters on November 18. The story is set 70 years before Harry Potter enters the wizarding world and follows writer Newt Scamander in New York. Potential disaster strikes when No-Maj (Muggle) Jacob Kowalski lets some of Newt’s beasts loose in the city. The two, along with with former Ministry of Magic employee, Tina Goldstein, and her sister, Queenie, form a team of unlikely heroes who must rescue the beasts before any harm comes to them. The stakes are high when their mission puts them into conflict with dark forces that could push the Wizarding and No-Maj worlds to the brink of war. Eddie Redmayne stars as Newt, alongside Ezra Miller (Credence), Colin Farrell (Percival Graves), Katherine Waterston (Tina), Alison Sudol (Queenie) and Dan Fogler (Jacob).

Rules Don’t Apply – November 23

Another romance drama being released on November 23, Rules Don’t Apply tells the story of Maria Mabrey, an aspiring actress, who meets a man named Frank Forbes, her driver, when arriving in Los Angeles for a job. Both are from a religiously conservative background and their attraction puts that to the test. Not only does it cause conflict with their own personal beliefs, but their billionaire boss, Howard Hughes, forbids intimate relationships between an employee and a contract actress, making their attraction even more difficult. The film stars Lily Collins as Marla Mabrey and rising star Alden Ehrenreich as Frank Forbes.

Moana – November 23, 2016

Disney’s newest animated film Moana makes its way into theaters on November 23. The movie follows the story of a Polynesian adventurous teenager, Moana, who sails out on a daring mission to save her people. Along the way, she meets Maui, the once-mighty demigod, who guides her to become a master wayfinder. They go on an action-packed voyage and are faced with enormous monsters and impossible odds. Moana’s story isn’t just one about fulfilling the quest of her ancestors, but also one of self-discovery and the journey to find her own identity. Auli’i Cravalho voices Moana and Dwayne Johnson voices Maui, along with songs co-written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, in the newest addition to the princess films.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story – December 16

For Star Wars fans, Rogue One is the beginning of a new trilogy that takes place between the end of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Episode IV: A New Hope. The Rebel Alliance has recruited Jyn Erso to work with Cassian Andor to lead a team to steal the plans to the Death Star, the Empire’s ultimate weapon intended for mass destruction. Jyn and Cassian are two ordinary people called upon to do extraordinary things, and become something greater than themselves in the process. Felicity Jones plays Jyn and Diego Luna plays Cassian in the newest installment to the Star Wars franchise.

No matter what your favorite film genre is, there’s something coming to theaters for you within the next few months. So grab some popcorn, friends and a movie ticket when it gets cold this winter because there are plenty of good films set to release and these are only some of them.

Hi, I'm Alex! New York's been my home since the day I was born, but I love exploring all of it's hidden secrets. I'm a diehard Mets fan and anyone who knows me knows that I can talk about baseball for hours. If you ever have any food suggestions, feel free to let me know as I love finding cool eats around New York!
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.