This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Alright girls, it’s time to start feeling great about yourself. It’s time to put down the tub of ice cream and cookies and go out and do something you love. You’re powerful, beautiful, strong and fierce. These songs are dedicated to making you feel amazing, to tell you that you don’t need a significant other, and to make you feel confident about who you are.

“Goodbye” by Kristinia DeBarge: Going through a breakup? Listen to this upbeat song. It’s about a girl moving on after a rough break up but not holding back or stopping herself from moving on. She is over the relationship and is so excited to start a new place in her life. Tell your ex “goodbye” and keep moving!

“Move Along” by The All-American Rejects: A slower version of a positive-outlook song. This song tells you that yeah, life can suck sometimes, but it doesn’t mean it won’t get better. On the days when you’re feeling your lowest, when you feel like nothing is or will go right, you need to keep going. Move along, don’t give up, things get better. The way this song is set up feels inspirational and enlightening. It really makes you feel good.

“Single Ladies” by Beyonce: This queen is all about independence and self-love. That’s why this song made the list. It’s such a fun song to dance to with your girls (look up the music video and try to learn the dance, it’ll make you feel even better!) and it does have a catchy meaning. If a significant other is not who you thought they were, it’s okay to let go. Find the person who wants what you want and is in it for the long run (he should’ve put a ring on it if he shows signs of jealousy). Keep dancing and show off your single pride!

“Gives You Hell” by The All-American Rejects: Oh look, another song by the All-American Rejects. Their songs are always pretty great if you want to get over someone. This song is more fun (pretty funny actually). It’s about a bad breakup, and the guy who got broken up with is doing pretty well with himself and is content with life. By this, he hopes to make the girl angry and pretty much regret all she’s done.  If you want a spiteful yet comedic take on getting over someone, this song will suit you well.

“Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera: I had the honor to grow up when this song came out. This to me is one of the most beautiful songs about self-love you could listen to. No matter what people tell you, no matter what you hear, and no matter what you see, you are beautiful. No one should stop you from liking certain things and no one should make you feel less confident or down on life because you like certain things. Be YOUtiful!

“We Are Never Getting Back Togethery” by Taylor Swift: It’s no surprise Taylor Swift is on here. She has written so many songs about relationships and break-ups, so it’s only right that she’d find a place on this list. I’ll admit it; I do not like Taylor Swift. However, I do like this song. This song explains an on-and-off relationship and how overplayed it gets. Those are never fun relationships, and it gets tiring. It’s better to just end it because you WILL be okay and get through it. When you’re listening to this song, think about your ex and jam out with your friends, they got your back!

“Run The World (Girls)” by Beyonce: Of course Beyonce is back on this list! Talk about one of the most girl-power songs on the planet. Girls, you’re awesome! No one can stop you, no one can put you down, you own your life! Be positive and do your thing. You run this world with your positivity and power. You can do any job, any task, and any other thing that comes your way. You are unstoppable!

“Salute” by Little Mix: This is one of my favorite songs. I work out to it because it’s so strong and powerful. It’s a military-inspired song that represents female power. They acknowledge the fact that some people just see women as pretty faces, but to quote the song; “you think we’re just pretty things, you couldn’t be more wrong. We’re standing strong, we carry on.”

“Perfect” by Pink: Again, another powerful and inspirational song. I once saw the music video and cried. It has such a heartfelt meaning, and I think it’s worth the listen and the watch. This song teaches you that even though you made all these mistakes, you are perfect. Even if you don’t think you are, you are perfect. If you ever feel down, just know that you are who you are and there’s nothing wrong with you. Everyone is different, yet everyone is perfect.

“Respect” by Aretha Franklin: Such a classic yet still meaningful. All you’re asking for sometimes is a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T. You should never feel less superior. This song will make you feel proud. You’re going to feel like you deserve respect (which you totally do!). If you’re not feeling like you’re getting any, sing it to yourself, play it on your iTunes. Respect yourself as well, because that’s most important!

Well girls, I hope that you learn to self-love, and I hope you know that you are your own happiness. There are so many other songs that should make you feel confident, happy and proud, but try these out as well. From experience, they definitely work. Remember, you’re never alone, and I hope you all live a life full of happiness and love!

Hi everyone! I'm 21 years old, studying Journalism with minors in Creative Writing and Marketing. Her Campus has given me place to write what I want, and I' so glad to share these articles with you!
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!