etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tuesday Ten: Oscar Nominated Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The Queen of all awards shows was this past Sunday and it was incredible, as always! The line-up of Oscar nominated movies was great this year. Here’s a list of ten films that you have to check out to find out what all of the hype is about!

1. Argo

This drama directed, produced, and starring Ben Affleck, is about the rescue of the six U.S. diplomats from Tehran, Iran during the 1979 Iran hostage crisis. The film had seven Academy Award nominations this year, proving the success and multi-talent of Affleck in the film industry.

1. Lincoln

This Spielberg film is a Historical Drama based on Doris Kearns Goodwin’s biography of President Abraham Lincoln. Also nominated for seven Academy Awards, this film is much more than a historical retelling.

1. Silver Linings Playbook

Silver Linings Playbook, a rom-com-drama starring American sweetheart Jennifer Lawrence, is about an oddball romance forming over shared neuroses. Bradley Cooper and Lawrence create on-screen chemistry in a unique and beautiful way.

1. Zero Dark Thirty

This film is another Historical Drama, focused on the dramatization of the U.S. mission to find and kill Osama bin Laden. Even for people who are not history buffs, this film is relevant to our generation and nominated for five Oscars!

1. Les Misérables

You have had to been living under a rock if you haven’t heard the acclaim surrounding this incredible film adaptation of the musical. The star-studded cast and incredible music is guaranteed to bring you to tears.

1. Life of Pi

If you’re like me, you probably were forced to read this novel in high school – and you may have actually liked it! This film is an adaptation of Yann Martel’s dramatic novel about a boy who survives a shipwreck and finds himself stranded in the ocean with a Bengal tiger.

1. Brave

This Pixar animation is a film about a skilled archer named Merida with fiery-red hair. The strong female character is compelling and the film has great morals for people of all ages.

1. Paperman

Walt Disney Animation Studios produced this black-and-white animated short film. Nominated for the Best Nominated Short Film at the Oscars this year, this is an adorable short story that is worth checking out.

1. Skyfall

Skyfall is the 23rd James Bond film directed by Sam Mendes. Daniel Craig didn’t disappoint of course, this being the first Bond movie that hit the $1 billion mark worldwide. Skyfall was nominated for Best Cinematography and Best Music at the Academy Awards.

1.  The Impossible

This drama is a true story following the survival of a family through the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. The film will leave you speechless and feeling blessed. Naomi Watts had an incredible performance, and because of it she earned an Academy Award Nomination for Best Actress amongst some of the biggest names in Hollywood today.

Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!