Tuesday Ten: Great Reads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I know it’s nearly midterm time which means reading for pleasure is rarely a thing that is possible. However, if you do get a chance to pick up a non-textbook before bed or in between study sessions, check out this list of suggested and awesome reads. If there isn’t time, bookmark the article and come back when you have the time…for example, a plane ride to a Spring Break destination!

1. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

This is a novel written from the unique perspective of a dog. It is an interesting story about the troubles of a man seen from the point of view of his loyal companion. Definitely a tearjerker for dog lovers, but worth it for the story!

1. Style by Lauren Conrad

This could be considered a “coffee table book” to some, but I read it all in one go! The reality TV star has turned into quite a success with multiple books, a fashion line, and a successful website. Her fashion advice and tips are great for every woman.

1. All Work, No Pay by Lauren Berger

The “Intern Queen” gives advice on everything from landing your dream internship to what to wear to the interview. It’s a very useful read for college students.

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

If you haven’t seen the movie yet…don’t! Read the bestselling novel first! I promise you will fall in love with the characters and you’ll be sad when it’s over.

1. Seriously…I’m Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres

Who doesn’t love America’s favorite talk-show host?! Ellen DeGeneres is just as funny in writing as she is on daytime television.

1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

This novel was one of the New York Times bestsellers in 2012, and it has carried over into 2013. This gripping story of suspense is all about a marriage gone terribly wrong.

1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

While John Green’s books typically fall under the “Young Adult” section, they are always on the best-seller lists. John Green, famous for his YouTube vlogs with his brother is an incredible writer for all ages.

1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

You’ve got to pick up this classic and read it before the highly anticipated film comes out this summer!

1. The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

This new novel by Picoult is sure to be just as great as all her others! Picoult has a tendency to write stories about major issues and controversial news and this story is no different. It focuses two characters, a Nazi soldier and a Holocaust survivor living next door to one another.

1. Bossypants by Tina Fey

If you’re a fan of Saturday Night Live or 30 Rock, you’ll know that this girl is guaranteed to make you laugh! Her sarcasm and wit will certainly make this book a page-turner.

Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!