Tips For Starting Off the Semester Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

For some of us, this spring is their first or last time starting a new semester. So many things may be running through our heads, like the impending amount of work that is ahead of us. But we can’t forget about all of the positive aspects the second half of the year brings. As much as we may be in a hurry for the school year to end, don’t let little things, like anxiety, keep you from having a good time. Here are some tips to keep you on track for a positive and enjoyable semester.

1. Don’t let anxiety control you

During the first week of the new semester, try to stay relaxed. Hopefully, with full control over creating your schedule, you were able to avoid as many early morning or late night classes as possible. Now, you can sleep in peacefully and take the time to prepare yourself for the week. Avoid dwelling on the work that is to come and instead, focus on adjusting to your new classes and get yourself back onto a schedule.

2. Put yourself out there

A change in classes can be exciting as you are given the opportunity to meet new people. Take advantage of the opportunity to expand your friend group. Even if you don’t hang out outside of class, it is nice to know another familiar face around campus. Step out of your comfort zone and introduce yourself. The worst thing that could happen is you don’t hit it off and lose a potential study buddy. Not only is it great to have friends in class, but it will also help when you miss a day and need to get caught up on the notes.

3. Try something new

With an endless number of clubs on campus, a new semester gives you an opportunity to try something new and meet new people. Make the most of your new schedule and try to join some clubs you did not have time for last semester. This is the prime time where most clubs are looking to recruit new members. There’s nothing better than meeting new people who share the same interests as you. Maybe even try something completely outside of your comfort zone.

4. Enjoy yourself

A majority of people say college goes by fast, and they’re right. Make the most of your time while you’re there. If the stress of the second semester ends up getting to you, just remember spring break is not too far away. Before you know it, you will be relaxing on your staycation or on a faraway beach. Continue to push through and enjoy yourself because new possibilities are just within your reach with this fresh semester.

Rylee Johnston is senior at Hofstra University studying  journalism. She has a passion for traveling and entertainment, and even spent four months abroad in London. When she isn't blogging about her travels, you can find her watching The Bachelor or planning her next adventure. Follow her on Instagram @ryleejuanita.