Tips for Fitting a Fitness Schedule into Your Class Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We know you’re trying to be a total #GirlBoss this year. But between your classes, extracurriculars, job and social life, it can seem hard to imagine fitting in a workout on any given day of the week. At the end of the day, you’re probably exhausted and a trip to the gym feels just out of the question. But who needs the gym to stay fit? Here are some tips to keep you in shape while still balancing a filled schedule.

1. Exercise while you work

Brushing your teeth in the morning doesn’t have to be standing at the sink staring at your bedhead while you scrub those pearly-whites. Do squats while you brush! Lunges while you brush your hair. Standing sideways leg lifts while you make breakfast. See where I’m going with this? All those mundane activities you do every day are an opportunity to fit in some movement. 

2. Make the most of your spare time

Between classes, you probably have papers to work on or things to print out but if you find yourself with nothing to do, take a walk around campus. Walking slowly with your eyes glued to your phone isn’t going to cut it here though. Walk briskly!  Image from Instagram @Cassey Ho

3. Stop being lazy

That’s right, I’m calling you out on your laziness. Have garbage to throw out? Don’t ask your friend to do you a favor, get up and throw it out yourself. Any movement, even something as small as ten steps to the garbage pail, is still movement! I could link you to a hundred different articles explaining how bad it is to sit on your butt all day, so stop being lazy and get up out of that seat.

4. YouTube is your friend

I’m just as guilty as the next person that dragging my butt to the gym is totally unappealing 99% of the time. With YouTube, that’s actually totally okay! There are THOUSANDS of workout videos out there that you can follow along with for free, right in the comfort of your own dorm. My personal favorite? Blogilates with Cassey Ho. She has a ton of videos under 10 minutes long that will have you feeling the burn. She has three-minute ab workouts so you officially have no excuse to slack off anymore. I know you have three minutes to spare!  

Image from Pexels

5. Wear cute gear

This is a tip that you’ll read just about everywhere, but I’m reiterating it because of how true it is. If your workout gear makes you feel good, you’ll be way more motivated to go to the gym.

6. Get a buddy

Another tip you’ll read everywhere, but it’s probably the most effective one of all. Get a workout buddy! Having someone who shares your desire to be fit can be super helpful on those days when you need that extra push. Someone who will motivate you, cheer you on, and remind you that you can do it, is definitely someone you want to have around.

mage from Pexels

As a journalism major and creative writing minor, Allison is all about everything reading and writing. Along with writing for Her Campus, Allison also writes for and is the editor of the features section of Hofstra's newspaper, The Chronicle. Fun fact! Her favorite way to start the morning is catching up with the important news of the day from her favorite email newsletter, TheSkimm. Want to be in the know too? Sign up for TheSkimm! http://www.theskimm.com/?r=93ac39ca