This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We all have been pulled into the digital world and most millennials are now a part of Snapchat. One of the best parts of Snapchat is that once you send a photo or video they disappear, and if someone does take a screenshot of your snap. you are notified.

As Snapchat has become more popular, it is obvious it might be used for more purposes than just sending a quick, quirky photo to a friend, but instead touch on more racy subjects.

There has been a recent surge in using Snapchat for sexting. One girl who I spoke to this about, who chooses to remain anonymous states, “I sext on Snapchat all the time. It’s so easy, and no commitment afterwards; just an easy way to get off with someone else.”

If someone is to screenshot your racy snap, then of course you can always confront them through Snapchat’s chat option, or you could always block them, or just not send them anything else. With this app there is no commitment to anything.

Snapchat allows for those sexts to be deleted immediately with no running record on a phone’s text messages and they can’t be forwarded to other people. Snapchat is essentially this generation’s safer way to sext.

While we all know you should not sext for obvious reasons, it is the 21st century and almost everyone has sexted at least once in their lives. Almost all of us are guilty of at least one case of sexting.

I know that if I had to choose, I would use Snapchat over texting for those sexts. While you should still be cautious when sending anything to anyone, Snapchat gives you a bit more a relief when sending a racier photo. While Snapchat is not 100% safe when sending those nudes, just as safety can’t gaurnteed whenever sending anything across the web, it makes it a bit harder for the average person to save a photo without the sender knowing.

This type of safer sexting may not be for everyone, but Snapchat does have a niche with people feeling safer to sext through this app rather than a text message.

I’m sure everyone has received their fair share of unwanted sexts show up on their Snapchat from time to time, and that is only bound to increase as Snapchat becomes a more common method for sexting.

Just a freshman Journalism major at Hofstra University that loves fashion, art, and travel. With a schedule that leaves very few hours during the day free, these eyes are bound to catch some Her Campus worthy action!
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.