This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Music sometimes helps you to focus. Writing a paper wouldn’t be the same without the motivation from music. Midterms are shortly coming up, and you’re going to have to possibly pull those all-nighters, drinking cups of coffee to keep you awake. But with the help of music, you’ll probably be able to get your energy flowing!

Let’s start off with some classical music. This isn’t for everyone, but the musical sounds of Bach and Beethoven may actually help to stimulate your mind. It’s peaceful and harmonious. In fact, there’s some proof that Mozart improves mental performance. They call it the “Mozart Effect.”

Next, you may want to try some more soothing, less traditional “music.” How about the sounds of nature? Rain, ocean waves, the jungle, even croaking frogs puts you into a different state, basically making you feel like you’re in another world, and will help you focus on your studies.

Okay, maybe this type of playlist doesn’t suit you best. Maybe you want to focus on what music YOU like. I always find myself listening to my work-out playlist. The fierce music puts me in a state of determination.

Here are a few of my favorite fierce songs:

 Closer, The Chainsmokers:

This one has been overplayed on the radio, but for some reason, I can’t stop listening to it. Although it makes me want to get up and dance, I become more focused on what I’m doing, even though I’m enjoying the song. I call it a double win.

 Work B**ch, Britney Spears:

This one can motivate you to do anything. The message is saying you need to work for your success, there’s no such thing as lying around and getting what you want. So if you want to pass that class, work hard on that paper!

 Now or Never, Outasight:

This song has a pretty good message too.Although I doubt this song was meant specifically to study, it tells you to not care what others are doing and “do what we want.” It’s now or never. Get this work done, or else you may regret it.

 ‘Till I Collapse, Eminem:

Something about Eminem yelling at me really makes me focus. I put a fierce face on, narrow my eyes to a focus point, and get going. Work until you collapse. You’ll do well in life.

If being yelled at in a song doesn’t help you concentrate, then here are some pretty laid back songs to help you escape the stress and focus on your studies:

 Drift Away, Uncle Kracker:

There’s something about this song that makes it seem tropical. What better way to feel relaxed than to feel as if you’ve escapes reality on a tropical getaway?

 Everything’s Gonna Be Alright, Bob Marley:

Not only is this song super tropical, but this message is telling you not to worry. Everything will be okay. Don’t panic if you don’t understand something. Take deep breaths. Hopefully, this relaxes you.

 Strawberry Swing, Coldplay:

I don’t know if it’s just the calming music playing, Chris Martin’s soothing voice, the lyrics or a combination of everything, but you’ll have “such a perfect day” if you listen to this. This will definitely keep you relaxed while studying.

 Someone Like You, Adele:

It’s kind of a depressing song, but that’s not what makes it go on the study playlist. The piano brings a classical tie to it, so if you don’t want to listen to straight up classical music, try Adele, or any song involving a beautiful piano.

You could even try a combination of classical, pump up, and relaxing songs. You may even want to listen to some of these songs with nature noises in the back. Anything that will ensure you kill the game while studying. We know you’re going to ace it, but we wish you the best of luck and hope that your playlist will keep you studying!

Hi everyone! I'm 21 years old, studying Journalism with minors in Creative Writing and Marketing. Her Campus has given me place to write what I want, and I' so glad to share these articles with you!
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.