This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With recruitment coming to a close many potential new members (PNMs) still feel as though they are not entirely sure what Greek life is all about, which is normal! One common theme all the sororities on campus have is secretly teaching you life lessons organically. As you make your decision keep in mind the following lessons to get excited for Bid Day this Saturday!

Your Perception On Time

Because Greek life is a very time consuming aspect you start to look at time a little differently. The first is how much powering through can you manage per week until you hit your crashing point. And the second is how long it takes you to do simple tasks like eating a sandwich sitting down because at some point in life you’ll have to prioritize even the small things.

Your Memory Capacity

During chapter meetings you will sometimes get an extensive list of events for the near future and for the upcoming weeks. Realistically you can’t expect yourself to memorize in detail so it becomes a training game. Like getting training wheels you start heavily relying on taking notes and eventually work your way off the paper!

The Importance of Mother/Daughter Relationships

This is by far a lesson that you will realize almost immediately. As a little you feel that your big is more than just your best friend but will often go that extra step to insure your success. And same vice versa, as a big you understand that showering gifts is expensive for one but they value your presence more than anything which can make you give mom a little added affection!

Interior Design

You’re already paying dues, which hurt your wallet a little bit, but the one thing sorority girls know is a budget! Want to make kickass dorm décor with less than $30? You got it! After the simple budgeting for rounds you will soon become a DIY expert, which is cost affective, more personal and makes your living environment feel even more like home.

Thinking Impromptu

Plot twists happen almost all the time in Greek life so it becomes your orgs job to come up with detailed back up plans or sometimes just wing it! You begin to realize that as proud as you may have been about the original, it’s completely ok for plans to change, it happens.

Age And Leadership Are Not Equivalent

The big and little system is not just as simple as one older girl to a younger so you may find yourself with a younger big than little but the responsibility still falls on the person who has been in the organization longer. In addition to that by taking up positions early you start to have an authoritative voice within your org, which is to be respected regardless of age!

Here’s to hoping this Bid Day you will find the organization that will help you grow to learn more than the prescribed list above!

Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.