Movies to Binge Watch on Netflix Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Need movies to binge watch during winter break? It’s a good thing Netflix has been releasing new movies this month along with the original movies that Netflix already has up! So grab a blanket, pop some popcorn, make some hot chocolate, turn on the Christmas lights and gather around the television to watch these amazing movies:

TIS THE SEASON TO PULL OUT THE CHRISTMAS MOVIES:

1.     Nightmare Before Christmas:

Tim Burton’s well-known movie is not just for Halloween but also is for this time of the season. It’s a story about Jack Skellington who accidentally stumbles upon Christmas and is determined to bring it to his town of Halloween.

Why watch it: It is a dark version of Christmas unlike any other Christmas movie. Not only are the graphics very well done, but the songs performed in the movie are very catchy!

Who would enjoy this movie: Tim Burton fans! So people who have watched Corpse Bride, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, and Alice in Wonderland.

2.     White Christmas:

White Christmas is a classic Christmas movie released in 1954. The notable Christmas song by Bing Crosby was performed in this movie. Two wartime friends and performers chase after a sister act to Vermont where they help publicize an old army general’s inn by bringing in their talent during the holiday season.

Why watch it: Besides the beautiful wardrobe and scenery, this movie rings in the holiday season with well-performed music and funny banter.

Who would like it: Anyone who has an appreciation for older movies, so any lover of the movies It’s a Wonderful Life, Holiday Inn, High Society, and Young at Heart.

3.     Love Actually

Love Actually has a bunch of different characters and plot that are based around one specific topic: love. People in this movie are falling in and out of love and all of this is occurring during the holiday season.

Why watch it: If you are not into older Christmas movies, this one is fairly new (2003). This movie also has a very well known cast like Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Colin Firth and Keira Knightley.

Who would like it: Anyone who likes movies with multiple plots like Valentine’s Day, New Year’s Eve and He’s Just Not That Into You.

MOVIES COMING TO NETFLIX IN DECEMBER

December 1st: Almost Famous

William Miller, a high-school boy, is given a chance to travel on the road with a famous band to write an article for Rolling Stones magazine. However, he soon learns his misconceptions of the lead singer he looks up to. William grows up fast while on the road and comes face-to-face with his love life (enter Kate Hudson’s character Penny Lane) and his love for music.

Why watch it: This movie won an Oscar along with Kate Hudson’s breakout role. You get to see William’s transformation throughout the movie and briefly witness life during the 1970s.

Who would like this: Any person who is a fan of music and the 1970s. Also, anyone who loves Kate Hudson as an actress.

December 11th: Sharknado 2

Sharknado 2: The Second One is a sequel to the disastrous film Sharknando. An insane weather storm caused sharks to fall out of the New York City sky. A very unrealistic plot yet oddly entertaining. Released in the summer of 2014, this movie’s most humorous moment is when the main character uses a chainsaw to attack a flying shark.

Why watch it: It is a light comedy that will make you either think at the end of it: “Why did I watch it” or “That was one of the funniest movies that I’ve sat through”.

Who would like this: Anyone who enjoys humorous movies or someone who enjoyed Sharknado.

December 11th: Wolf of Wall Street

This film is an adaptation of Jordon Belfort’s memoir. Jordon Belfort was a crooked banker who heavily indulges in numerous amounts of drugs. Soon, his corrupt life catches up to him and the FBI starts looking into his business transactions.

Why watch it: Considering it was very successful in theaters, it is very surprising that this movie is available on Netflix so soon. Also, Leonardo DiCapro is in it and almost every movie he is in turns out being successful.

Who would like it: Anyone who read Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort and liked it and anyone who finds Leonardo DiCapro’s movies enjoyable.

Hi, my name is Dani! I am a sophomore at Hofstra University with a major in journalism and a minor in political science. I love fashion along with politics. My goal is to move to DC right after college and write for a newspaper like The Washington Post.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!