Motivational Mantras to Get You Through Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It’s no secret that finals week is the week where most college students reach peak stress. Balancing all of your classes, keeping your note cards organized, attending group study sessions – it can get overwhelming really quickly. One thing that always helps me when I feel like I’m teetering on the brink of insanity because I’ve been doing work for so long is reading or listening to some source of motivation. Reading motivational quotes and mantras always help me refocus my energy, as well as encouraging me to work harder to get things done. Here are a few of my favorite mantras that keep me motivated during times where I’m feeling stressed or unmotivated.

Photo courtesy of Jordan Whitfield

“No masterpiece was ever created by a lazy artist.” – Salvador Dali

Everyone feels lazy from time to time, but being lazy during finals week is a big no-no. Try to muster up that extra bit of energy that’s left in you, because you never know what that one little burst of energy could do for you.

“Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and important, although difficult, is the highroad to pride, self-esteem, and personal satisfaction.” – Margaret Thatcher

It’s hard to motivate yourself to get work done, especially when you don’t particularly enjoy what you’re studying. However, by starting good study habits (and good habits in general) now, you’re better preparing yourself for what’s to come in the future.

I will breathe. I will think of solutions. I will not let my worry control me. I will not let my stress level break me. I will simply breathe. And it will be okay. Because I don’t quit.” – Shayne McClendon

This is more of a mental chant than a motivational quote in my opinion. By repeating these words to yourself, you can completely change your mindset and get more done than you imagined you could.

If you hear a voice within you say ‘You cannot paint’, then by all means, paint, and the voice will be silenced.” – Van Gogh

Challenge the norms and surprise people with your confidence. There is nothing more motivating than seeing a person succeed, especially during a stressful time like finals week, and maybe you could be that person to someone else.

“I strongly believe if you work hard, whatever you want, it will come to you. I know that’s easier said than done, but keep trying.” – Beyoncé

Can’t argue with Queen B.

Photo courtesy of Rod Long

Anything I’ve done that was ultimately worthwhile initially scared me to death.” – Betty Bender

AKA, writing out 150 note cards full of definitions that will probably serve no significance in your life later on… but those note cards will help you score that A, so you might as well write them out.

“Don’t cheat the world of your contribution. Give it what you’ve got.” – Stephen Pressfield

Give finals everything you’ve got. If you put minimal effort into preparing for finals, it could negatively affect you in the future, which could then even affect your career if you develop a bad work ethic.

You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

…like making a 4th study sheet for that exam that you swear you’ll never pass. (Guess what, you can pass it!)

Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will.” – Zig Ziglar

Positivity is key! If you go into finals week with a negative attitude, chances are that you’ll experience some negativity. However, if you try to have a positive attitude and put good thoughts into your head before you enter your exams, you won’t be as nervous and you’ll see better results.

Madeline is a journalism major at Hofstra University, and is a writer for HC Hofstra. If you're looking for her, you can probably find her at an Anthropologie, the beach, or eating peanut butter out of the jar.