Makin’ Treble: Sarah McGough ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Sarah McGough

Year: 2016

Major: Public Relations

JH: At what age did you get into singing?

SM: I started singing in fifth grade. I never really thought it was my thing until my music teacher encouraged me to join the chorus and try out for solos. Since then I’ve always loved singing in chorus, bands and now in an a cappella group!

JH: When did you join Makin’ Treble?

SM: I joined Makin’ Treble the fall semester of my junior year. To get into a capella groups at Hofstra you have to audition, so I auditioned with “Chandelier” by Sia. I guess the girls in Makin’ Treble that year liked it!

JH: What is your favorite song from this semester’s concert?

SM: The Katy Perry medley was definitely my favorite song from this semester’s concert. It had all my favorite Katy Perry songs and it was a blast to sing.

JH: You have a solo this year in the concert, how has that experience been?

SM: I first sang the solo for “Try” by Colbie Caillat in Makin’ Treble’s spring 2015 concert. I was so nervous to sing it because it was my first solo and there were so many people in the audience. This concert I wasn’t as nervous to sing it because it’s been a while since we learned the song and we’ve performed it plenty of times before this year’s fall concert. It also helps that I’ve become so much more comfortable singing with the group. The girls are such a great support system.

JH: What is the best part about being in Makin’ Treble?

SM: The best part about being in Makin’ Treble is the experience to make beautiful music with such talented women. Sometimes we’ll be rehearsing music and I’ll get chills from the sound of the amazing arrangement one of the girls put together or when one of the girls sound amazing singing a solo. It is such an amazing experience to be able to sing with people who share the same passion for making great music.

JH: What is your voice range?

SM: I’m an alto 1 in Makin’ Treble and I’ve been an alto since I started singing in choirs. I actually have my vocal range written down because during auditions this year the girls in Makin’ Treble were bored during our down time so a bunch of us tested our ranges for fun. Mine is from a low D to a high Eb.

JH: I heard your group is going to the ICCA Mid-Atlantic Quarter-Finals this year. Can you tell me about that? 

SM: This year Makin’ Treble made it to the ICCA Mid-Atlantic Quarter-Finals which is hosted here at Hofstra on February 27th! ICCA is The International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella and it’s a huge international competition for college a cappella groups. At the quarter-finals, we will be competing with 9 other groups to try to make it to the semi-finals.

JH: Is there a song you would love to preform?

SM: I would love to perform “I’ve Told You Now” by Sam Smith. It’s my favorite song from In the Lonely Hour. It’s one of those songs with so much emotion and passion so I feel like it would be amazing to perform.

Jessica is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Hofstra University's Her Campus Chapter. Jessica, from New Jersey, is a journalism major and psychology minor at Hofstra University. As a dedicated member of her college's Her Campus chapter since her freshman year, she has held the role of staff writer, Snapshot editor, Secretary and now CC. Outside of Her Campus, Jessica's publications include JeannineMorris.com, TheCelebrityCafe.com, FashionWeek.com, The Hofstra Chronicle and the Long Island Report, where she is also a student editor. In her spare time Jessica enjoys being outdoors, camping and hiking, snowboarding in the winter, hitting the Jersey Shore beaches in the summer, working out and spending time with her friends, family, and pets. Check out her fashion, beauty and lifestyle blog at http://Jessie-Leigh.com.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.