This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Fashion designer and female empowerment icon Kate Spade has passed away at age 55 due to an apparent suicide. According to a statement given to The Kansas City Star from her sister, Reta Brosnahan Saffo, her suicide “was not unexpected by me.” But despite her death, Spade leaves behind an empire of chic, colorful, and whimsical designs that are still beloved today. 

Kate Spade built what has been deemed as a fashion empire with her coveted handbags being at the center. The fashion line itself took ordinary and plain shapes, and made them bold through the use of quirky patterns and colors. Owning a Kate Spade handbag has been thought of as being quintessential to being a successful and professional woman.

However, Kate Spade’s influence has reached far beyond the fashion industry and the mold that adheres to societal standards. Kate Spade has been idealized as the epitome of what it means to be a multifaceted woman by creating looks that were both sophisticated and quirky since the launch in 1993.

The “Kate Spade girl” has been shown through quotes such as, “She leaves a little sparkle wherever she goes” and “She eats takeout on china and serves champagne with pizza.” These quirky and unique quotes are often found on the Kate Spade Instagram, following the hashtag, “#MondayMotiviation,” and they inspire and empower women to truly be who they are.

Kate Spade created a fashion empire, but her line became so much more than just that. Women remember their first Kate Spade handbag, and the empowerment they felt after because of the vision behind the brand.

The tragedy that cut Kate Spade’s life too short should not be remembered as simply just a tragedy. Kate Spade’s life and fashion line were about more than just fashion, and it would be a tremendous shame for her legacy to end following the same narrative that suicide has a tendency to follow.

It is impossible to ever comprehend the incredible amount of pain that she was in before she decided to take her own life; however, as a woman who has felt empowered by Kate Spade’s vision, I find it necessary that as females we unite together to empower other women.

Do not let Kate Spade’s death be remembered as a tragedy. Instead, it should spark and continue the conversation on mental health, suicide prevention and awareness, and encouraging people to know that they can always ask for help if they need it. Let Kate Spade’s legacy continue as an icon for female empowerment by uniting together and living out the ideals set forth by the late visionary’s values.

“She’s quick and curious and playful and strong. She is a voracious reader and a fantastic dancer. She saves old scrapbooks and loses her umbrella. Her emails pile up but she never forgets to call her grandmother. She has 7 dollars change at the bottom of her handbag.” -Kate Spade

If you or a loved one are struggling with suicidal thoughts, please reach out to the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.

Gabriella is a senior Public Relations major and Political Science minor at Hofstra University. She is a member of WRHU 887. FM and Alpha Epsilon Phi. Gabriella would like to work as a lobbyist focusing on educational and women's rights.