Intern Diaries: 4 Things To Bring On Your First Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Congratulations! You got an amazing internship! Your first day is almost upon you, and you have got everything ready from your outfit to transportation. But there are a few small things you’ll want to remember to bring with you to be totally prepared for your first day, and impress your new boss.

Notebook and Pencil/Pen

This one may seem silly, but not all offices or places of employment will have these at your desk. You are definitely going to need to take notes on the first day. Most internship supervisors will use this day to go over the basics with you. Be sure to write everything down so you don’t have to keep asking about basic tasks.

ID

Most companies have some sort of security and, as an intern, they will need to get you an access card. You may not need it, but a form of ID like a drivers license is always useful to bring with you just in case.

A Planner

You will most likely get your hours and schedule today, if you haven’t already. Be sure to write it down, and look in your planner for any scheduling conflicts (doctors appointments, family commitments, etc.). It is best to let them know ASAP if you will be needing a day off.

Comfortable Shoes

You may be tempted to dress up and throw on a nice pair of heels. I don’t recommend it on the first day. You don’t know exactly how much running around you will be doing, and you don’t want your feet to be killing you halfway through the day.

As long as you have these items, you’re first day is guaranteed to be a blast! Make sure to check out the HC article, Work Day Essentials, to be prepared for every day of your internship!