This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Repeat after me: “gluten-free” is not a synonym for “bland.” If you suffer from a gluten allergy or need to be careful when baking for others, don’t despair over dessert! You can eliminate wheat, rye, and barley from your Grandma’s classic recipes and still bake drool-worthy cookies and cakes. Just keep these tips in mind:

via

Replace gluten with a small amount of xanthan gum or guar gum. Since they have thickening and binding properties, just a few teaspoons will add some structure in your light, doughy dessert. Note: some people are sensitive to these gums; see below for an alternative.

via

Use chia seeds and golden flaxseeds. Whisk ground chia seeds or golden flaxseeds with boiling water, and then add a few teaspoons into your recipe to thicken and strengthen the texture. (Bonus: they’re both great sources of fiber!)

via

Add some fun to your flour.

If you’re using all-purpose gluten-free flour (and not, say, almond flour), you might want an extra flavor boost. Experiment with adding small amounts of shredded coconut, oats, or ground nuts.

via

Use a baking scale.

Since different types of gluten-free flours have different weights, using a scale will make it much easier to follow measurements. Plus, baking by weight and not cups means that it’s easier to replace one substitute with another. (This is a lifesaver for people who are allergic to more than just gluten!)

via

Be careful not to cross-contaminate.

If you’re playing hostess and are on a cooking spree, make sure that you don’t reuse any pots, pans, or utensils without thoroughly washing them first. Keep your gluten-free desserts in a separate spot.

Above: You can use an instant-read thermometer to determine if your dessert is done. The internal temperature for most desserts should be about 200 to 210 °F.

via

Be vigilant. Gluten-free desserts sometimes get a bad reputation for being overly dry or rock-hard. The simple truth is that they were probably left in the oven just a minute or two too long. Since they’re easy to overbake (especially cookies), make sure you follow your times precisely. 

Emily Windram

Hofstra '15

Emily Windram is a passionate writer with experience in personal and business branding, creative writing, and communications. She graduated from Hofstra in 2015 with a Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing and History.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!