Hofstra’s Annual Drag Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

On Thursday, October 13th, Hofstra’s Pride Network chapter hosted their annual Drag Show. The event took place at the Monroe Lecture Center, doors opened at 7:30 and the show started at 8. It was a social event that educated students about drag culture in the most fun way they knew how.

The event was hosted by Anita Waistline, the reigning Miss Pulse Orlando, and National Miss Comedy Queen. She kicked off the event with a stellar lipsynch, filled with action-packed choreography and plenty of sass. In addition to featuring the princess of Pulse, Hofstra University was also treated to performances by Yuhau Hamasaki and the one and only, Latrice Royale from RuPaul’s Drag Race. The energy of the crowd mirrored the exciting performances on stage, it’s fair to say that I was not the only one to lose my voice last night. Students also had the opportunity to perform, many of which were in drag for the first time. Organizations such as transcendDANCE, Imani, and Sigma Acapella made their usual jaw-dropping appearances at the event—with newcomers such as Hofstra Ballroom. It was an event that always brings in an energetic crowd, but this year Hofstra’s Annual Drag Show not only gave us life but touched our hearts. 

Partial proceeds went to the victims and their families of the Orlando, FL, Pulse Nightclub shooting The event was an awesome time for all who attended, and if you were not able to make it, make sure to check it out next year!

Taylor is a Junior at Hofstra University, majoring in Journalism and double minoring in English and Political Science. Hofstra is the third college she has attended and she plans on it being her last! She is a self-proclaimed cupcake connoisseur and Netflix enthusiast. She can often be found in a mountain of pillows, sipping hot tea or obsessing over how cute her dog is. If she isn't cocooned in blankets, she is probably at the softball field or sitting on a beach somewhere. Taylor is an aspiring writer and editor, and although she isn't exactly sure where she will be after college she hopes to one day work for a magazine and publish children's books.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.