Hofstra University’s 5th Annual Relay for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Hofstra University’s 5th annual Relay For Life exceeded the expectations of those involved this year, something that actually should have been predicted, since the Relay For Life hosted on campus is the number one college Relay For Life on Long Island.

The event, held on April 28th, takes place overnight, officially starting at 7:00 pm and ending at 7:00 am. Throughout the twelve hours, participants walk, run, or even flip their way around a field that surrounds what would appear to be a campground. The teams involved set up tents, tables, and even bouncy castles in an effort to raise money for the event during various on-site fundraising attempts, and to keep their team cozy during the brisk night.

Relay For Life is an event held at colleges, high schools, and many other venues around this time of year to raise money to fund cancer research. The events are a great way to connect with those who might have shared your struggle with cancer, since many of the participants have battled cancer or know someone who has either survived or unfortunately lost their fight to the horrible disease. The night is inspiring, as it shows how people can come together to comfort those that they barely know, and show support for friends and family that have been affected by cancer.

Below are some photographs of one of the most heart wrenching, yet heartwarming, ceremonies that happen at Relay For Life. These bags are called Luminaria bags, and they are for those who have suffered from or lost their fight with cancer. Participants were able to buy a bag to honor their loved one, and write a message and their loved one’s name on the bag, before lining the track with the tributes. Each bag is filled with sand and a candle, and during the first couple of hours of Relay For Life, the candles are lit, and the beautiful bags illuminate the track for the entire night.

Though the Luminaria bags usually signify that a life was lost, and are therefore a tear-inducing part of the night, they are a way to show that that person will never be forgotten, and their spirit and will to fight cancer lives on in their friends and families. Luminaria bags inspire people to keep fighting; both for loved ones who are currently suffering from the disease, and for a way to cure cancer once and for all.

Nikki Maniscalco is Hofstra University's Campus Couture editor. She is a senior majoring in English and Publishing Studies with a minor in Journalism. On campus, she is also involved in Ed2012, Nexus Yearbook, and a Communications Volunteer for the 2012 Presidential Debate. Off campus, she is an editorial intern at The Daily Meal. Her hobbies, aside from writing, include photography, cooking, spending more money on clothes and shoes than she should, and enjoying every second of college life with her friends before she graduates in the spring.
Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!