Her Story: Working at the Mall Broke Me Out of My Shell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I grew up being told I was too shy, too quiet and need to speak up more. I would rehearse in my head what I was going to say when the waiter came to take my order in a restaurant. I would stutter and mumble while talking on the phone. I would be the girl at the party sitting with a plate of hors d’oeuvres rather than dancing.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a terrible dancer and still won’t bust a move no matter how catchy the song is. But since getting a job in the mall a little over two years ago, I’ve made leaps and bounds in my ability to confidently talk to people.

When I first landed my sales associate position, I was, admittedly, super awkward. My manager wanted me to go up to customers and advertise what sales we had going on and to offer my help in finding their perfect outfit. I would slowly approach customers with a smile plastered across my face and upon making eye contact would mumble, “Hi, how can I help you?” I was anything but conversational and the moment the customer would say, “Oh, I’m just looking,” I would bolt to the opposite side of the store.

Going home and being able to say I had helped one single customer was a huge accomplishment for me. Gradually that one customer grew into three customers and those three grew into five. After a few months of working in the store, I earned a promotion.

I was as shy as one could possibly come, but working in the mall forced me to change. I loved the store I worked in and was super excited to be a sales associate there. I knew if I didn’t break out of my shell, they would let me go. I obviously wanted to keep my job and knew I had to make a change within myself. It was a very hard thing for me to do but I pushed through my self-doubt and slowly but surely became a more confident version of myself.

Now when I go in to work, I’m able to casually walk up to every customer who comes in and talk to them like they’re a long-lost friend. I can ring people up at the register without my hands fumbling to fold their clothes and I can answer the phone without a single doubt of what I’m saying. Being able to get to know a customer while also helping them with their shopping experience is an amazing feeling.

If you struggle with being shy, I can’t stress enough how amazing a retail job can be. Being forced to step out of your comfort zone is hard but when you can see how much you’ve grown and how much you’ve changed, I can guarantee you won’t regret it for a second.

As a journalism major and creative writing minor, Allison is all about everything reading and writing. Along with writing for Her Campus, Allison also writes for and is the editor of the features section of Hofstra's newspaper, The Chronicle. Fun fact! Her favorite way to start the morning is catching up with the important news of the day from her favorite email newsletter, TheSkimm. Want to be in the know too? Sign up for TheSkimm! http://www.theskimm.com/?r=93ac39ca
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.