Getting Fit: Dorm Room Workouts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Summer is coming which means it’s almost time to break out the bikinis and hit the beach. For those of you who aren’t comfortable with your beach bod yet, there’s no need to panic. This dorm room workout will give you quick and easy ways to fit some exercise into your daily routine, so you’ll be trim and toned in weeks!

Flatten Your Abs
This quick way to toning your tummy can be done right on your bed. Lay on your back. Then lift your head neck and shoulders off the bed. Place your arms behind your head and tuck your right leg into your chest while you raise your left leg in the air (about 6 inches off the bed). Then switch legs, extending your right leg and pulling your left leg to your chest.

Work Your Calves
This exercise is easy to do while chatting on the phone or catching up on some reading. Just stand with your legs together, feet turned out. Your big toes should be about two inches apart. Rise onto the balls of your feet then slowly lower your heels back to the floor. Make sure you rise straight up and down slowly
(don’t rock!) to get the best results.

Firm Your Thighs
You can do this one sitting at your desk in class. Sit up tall in your chair, with both of your feet firmly on the floor. Concentrate on sucking in your abs and keeping your upper body still. Keep your abs tight as you lift one leg off the floor. Hold for 5 seconds, then put your leg back down and repeat with the other leg.

Tighten Your Butt
This is another exercise that you can do on your bed. Start by lying on your back with your feet shoulder width apart. Lay your arms at your side. Slowly press your hips up to the ceiling, so that your body is a straight line from your knees to your shoulders. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Then relax and repeat.

Eliminate Your Muffin Top
Lay on your side, using your arm to prop up your head. Place your other hand on the floor in front of your
stomach. Lift your top leg, keeping it straight and your toe pointed. Hold for 2 seconds then slowly lower it. Repeat this 20 times and then switch to the other leg. If the workout gets too easy, you can increase the number or try adding ankle weights.

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!