Forever Footwear: Shoes that Stand the Test of Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As Christian Louboutin once said, “A shoe is not only a design, but it’s a part of your body language, the way you walk. The way you’re going to move is quite dictated by your shoes.” As a  classified king in the shoe industry, Louboutin knew what he was talking about. Every season brings forth an abundance of shoes that speak to the latest fashion trends, yet there is no denying that there are particular styles that consistently stand the test of time. These timeless staples seem to last forever, all thanks to their effortless charm.

Comfort is not only a necessity but completes all style requirements when it comes to these classic sneakers and flats. Chuck Taylors All stars, also known as Converse All Stars date all the way back to 1908. Unlike today, these rubber sole, canvas shoe were once seen strictly on the basketball court. Pair the classic black high tops with a baseball jersey or leather jacket to play up the old school tom boy look. Chuck Taylors aren’t just for an edgy vibe, pair the white, low tops with a summery dress or skirt to make cutesy, comfortable.

For those who aren’t the Chuck type, throw on a pair of Adidas Superstar Originals. These white sneakers with black stripes are convenient when it comes to matching just about anything. Make this look your own with edgy leather pants or black distressed jeans.

Lastly on the sneaker bandwagon, our favorite 60’s shoe would be a classic pair of Vans slip-ons. An effortless shoe is an understatement when it comes to vans. Not only are they available in any color or pattern imaginable, but if they hold up to the wear and tear of a skateboarder, they will last while you are strutting your stuff.

The word Chanel alone rings of class and timeless style. No girl can go wrong if they can swing a pair of classic Chanel flats. Their tan and black exterior make it easy to match them to anything. Not only are these a professional looking shoe, but dress up any look without adding the height or discomfort of a heel.

Talk about standing the test of time, Birkenstock sandals have been around since 1774. Although back then they weren’t a necessity at festivals such as Coachella, the shoe must be reliable to last over 200 years. These historical sandals are perfect for a relaxed, hippy inspired outfit amazing for the summer months.

Elite is the best way to describe these last two shoe options that are not as old as the others but have a long future ahead of themselves. Manolo Blahnik Classic heels are elegant beyond their time. These expensive shoes may be priced close to $1,000.00 yet can be used towards almost any formal event. A woman’s charm and class never goes out of style, which makes Manolo Blahnik heels a life long investment.

Lastly, nothing speaks louder to a girl than the sight of a pair of red bottoms. That’s right, we have made it full circle, ending with the king of shoes, Christian Louboutin. If you have the money to splurge on a pair of these iconic pumps, they will last a lifetime. Their signature bottoms make it known that you are embracing your inner style icon. Make the investment now while you are young, because if you have the stamina, these heels could last you to your elderly years. Pumps these beautiful will survive the threat of extinction. 

My name is Lauren Pardee, I am a 21 year old Hofstra University Journalism major with a minor in Enlglish. I grew up in New England splitting my time between Connecticut and Cape Cod. I am a member of Delta Gamma Fraternity at the Eta Nu chapter. I spent my sophomore year studying abroad in Florence, Italy and keeping a blog about the 7 countries and 26 cities I visited along the way. I am interning in the Fashion Closet at Cosmopolitan Magazine currently exploring my love for magazines and fashion. Read my articles to learn all about fashion, beauty, pop culture, health and lifestyle.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.