This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Happy Friday / Saint Patrick’s Day! I hope everyone is having an awesome week. Spring break is finally kicking off for me which means this upcoming week won’t be totally health and fitness focused but that’s okay! We all need rest, right? Let’s get into my week in fitness!

My Workouts by Day:

MON: 10 min stretch, 10 mins squats smiths machine (5 sets, 10 reps 125 lbs), 10 min Stairmaster

THURS: 30 min yoga abs via YouTube

FRI: 30 min yoga practice for flexibility and relaxation

I was sick this week so my workouts were light!

Workout Protip of the Week:

Let’s talk about squats baby. Squatting with weight can be super intimidating at first, especially if you are going for it on your own! The most important thing to keep in mind while squatting is form. You have to make sure your upper body, hips, knees and toes are all aligned properly so you work out the correct muscles and eliminate the chance of injury. 

Here are two diagrams that describe form well.

Photo from Fix.com

The basics of squatting include keeping your chest pitched slightly so that your knees stay over your toes. This is crucial because buckling of the knees and having them bend inward can cause some serious injuries. Pitching your chest at the correct angle will help you hold the weight of the bar across your shoulders and lower neck. If you are too hunched forward, you will not work out the correct muscles. Start off with the Smiths machine, rather than free weights, because the bar is attached to the machine on a Smiths, so it is safer for someone starting out!

Photo by fitnessinterest

Fitstagram of the Week:

@yoga_girl

Photo by @yoga_girl via Instagram

This is Rachel Brathen (she just had her baby, Lea). She is a yogi that loves the beach and posts beautiful yoga/motherhood related content!

Gym Must-Have for the Week:

Tarte Cosmetics athleisure skincare collection

Photo by @tartecosmetics via Instagram

These are makeup products made for gym wear! I don’t wear makeup often, nonetheless to the gym, but in my dancing days I HATED wearing stage makeup and sweating, and I would have loved to try these out. Sweat and normal makeup do not mix, so if you are someone looking for sweat-friendly formulas, give these a try!

Healthy Treat of the Week:

Suja Juice

Photo by @lovesuja via Instagram

These juices are pack full of fruits, veggies, and the like. I love this organic drink because it has antioxidants, vitamins, and all the good stuff squeezed into one yummy juice. My favorite flavor is the Berry Goodness! Just be careful with these, because some flavors can contain a lot of sugar.

That’s all for this week! I’m off to go relax on my spring break. Have a good weekend, and don’t forget to love yourself!

DISCLAIMER: I am in NO way a fitness professional or a nutritionist, I just put a big focus on health and nutrition in my life and want to share what works for me.

Gia Tims

Hofstra '20

Gia is a double major in journalism and Italian at Hofstra University. She is obsessed with yoga, pugs, Friends and Target runs. Gia loves writing and hopes to live in NYC one day to fulfill her dream of becoming a journalist! Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @giatims