Fall Things to Do Around Hofstra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Now that Fall Fest is over, I know the typical pumpkin spice latte will not be enough for a lot of you to get into the spirit of Autumn. Luckily, there are other things to do around Hofstra University with a couple of friends during the upcoming weeks. Ranging from haunted attractions to sampling beers at the Bronx Zoo, here are a few fall activities to do around Hofstra.

Haunted Attractions

Hempstead House of Horrors

127 Middle Neck Road, Sands Point, NY 11050

Open: October 22, 23, 28, 29, 30 from 6 PM – 10 PM

$30 per person (which includes parking!)

If you’ve ever been to the Hempstead House in Sands Point, you will probably love seeing it decorated as a haunted house. The facility opens its doors as a haunted house once a year for a limited time. The actors dress up as servants and even refugee children from WWII.

Chamber of Horrors Trilogy of Fear

1745 Expressway Drive North, Hauppauge, NY 11788

Open: Until October 31, attractions start at 7 PM

$25 general admission or $30 for front of line access tickets

This year, there are 3 new attractions you can get tickets for: Maniac Manor, Murderer’s Row, and Ward 9.  

Pumpkins & Beer

F&W Schmitt’s Family Farm

26 Pinelawn Road, Melville, NY 11747

Open everyday from 10 AM – 5 PM

Free parking!

The really popular pumpkin and apple picking spots can be pretty far from Hofstra (about an hour drive away). If you’re not willing to travel that far for a few pumpkins, Schmitt’s Family Farm is the place to go. They also have candy and caramel apples for you to enjoy while you sit on a hay ride.

Brew at the Zoo

2300 Southern Boulevard, Bronx, NY 10460

October 29 from 7 PM – 11 PM

General Admission $44.99 which includes unlimited beer sampling and access to the photo booth

Designated Driver tickets $29.99 for those who know they won’t be drinking but still want to experience the entertainment

For the first time, the Bronx Zoo is going to have an event where you can sample a variety of beer and food. Vendors such as Angry Orchard, Blue Moon and Heineken will be there for you to taste. Visitors are encouraged to dress up since there will be a costume contest.

Movies

More of a stay-in kind of person? Check out this article that lists some of the greatest Halloween themed movies on Netflix that you can watch for the days when you don’t want to go out in the cold.

Brooklyn Horror Film Festival

41-43 Wythe Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211

Weekend of October 14

Tickets range from $15 – $18

If Netflix and chill isn’t enough for you, then head over to Brooklyn for their Horror Film Festival. People submit their films to the BHFF for screening. At the end of the night you can have a question and answer session with a couple of the filmmakers. (And yes, beer will be served here too).

Areeba Khan

Hofstra '18

Areeba earned her Master of Health Administration from Hofstra University with distinction after graduating with a Bachelor's in Biology from Hofstra. She currently works at Northwell Direct as a Project Manager. When she's not reading or writing, Areeba is usually trying out a new restaurant or dessert spot with her friends.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.