Fal Fest 2014: Recap!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The weekend is upon us again here at Hofstra and although there may be some fun things to do in the next few days, this weekend might not compare to the fun that was last weekend. That’s right, the thing you’re probably still recovering from: Fall Fest 2014!

Here’s a rundown of the amazement that was Fall Fest:

Float Parade

In the week leading up to Fall Fest, the sororities and fraternities of the IFSC and the MFSC, as well as other organizations such as SGA, Danceworks, H*INT, SGH, and Habitat for Humanity worked tirelessly preparing the pieces to their floats. Saturday, they displayed the fruit of their labor during the annual float parade that circled campus and ended at Hofstra USA, where the groups performed their skits. This year’s theme was “Princes and Princesses,” and royalty including Cinderella, Rapunzel, Tianna, Belle, and even Daenerys Targaryen graced Hofstra.

Vibe Live Concert and Carnival

The turn up really began immediately following the parade of floats with the commencement of the Vibe Live Concert. Throughout the day, Hofstra organizations, including Imani Dance Ensemble and Danceworks, took to the stage to strut their stuff. Also, even more royalty graced Fall Fest 2014 as 2013 Fall Fest King and Queen Justin Smith and Rachel Tom-Quinn took to the stage to pass their crowns down to George Calvo and Hanna Knuuttunen.

This year, Hofstra was #blessed to get 80’s cover band Rubix Kube to rock out on stage to a crowd of students, family and alumni. Following that performance, T-Boz and Chilli of TLC graced the Vibe Live stage with a show that had a lot of the audience crying waterfalls. Next, Matt and Kim took the stage and got everyone pumped up for the final performance with the little bit of daylight that was left. Lastly, Janelle Monae took the stage in an electrifying performance that left the crowd in amazement. All of the performances featured strong women and encouraged fun, self-love, and empowerment, which the lovely collegiettes of Hofstra know all about!

Nyala Stagger is a junior public relations major from St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. She is currently the Public Relations Chair of the Hofstra Chapter of the NAACP, as well as the Her Campus Hofstra chapter. She loves performance arts, good music, reading and keeping up with the latest articles from HerCampus!
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!